WebView is an Android Component which allows us to run Tutanota and also powers many other apps and almost all mobile browsers.
When you have an outdated WebView version installed, apps can get slower and stop working altogether.
Certain apps provide newer versions of WebView.
If your operating system is older than Android N (Android 7), please install the System WebView app
If your operating system is Android N or newer, you have multiple options.
- On most systems, WebView is tied to Chrome by default so updating Chrome is enough
- If you don't want to use Chrome, you can change this in the system settings:
- Open Settings > About
- Tap on “Build number” seven times
- Go back to the Settings menu to see “Developer options”
- Choose Developer options > WebView implementation
- Now you can use any installed WebView, even without Chrome (e.g. System WebView)
If you know another app which provides WebView, please let us know at email@example.com and we'll happily add it to the list.
Note for LeEco phones users: LeEco has modified system in a way which makes updating WebView harder. We are trying to find a solution for that.