I suggest you ...

IMAP & SMTP Access

IMAP and SMTP access (even if it's not encrypted, we users want ease of access to our emails)

75 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gabriel Girouard shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I miss the SMTP access to send mail from my website with the PHP function mail().

• Anonymous commented  · 

This is how I would implemente this: when using SMTP access, email would simply not be encrypted and tutanota would act as a regular email server.

This is useful for some automated task that require sending an email, for example.

• Wesley G (Morthawt) commented  · 

This is important. I was set to switch from google apps till I realised there was no imap. Encrypted emails are fine, if you need it. I am mainly interested with a company that isn't logging and making money from my emails. I would gladly pay that small fee every year IF I could use imap and smtp with my own clients and apps. Just all you need to do is detect encrypted emails and just provide a web link if you want to interact with those emails. All other emails can arrive and send over normal secure imap/smtp connection. Please implement this most basic and crucial functionality.

• Anonymous commented  · 

This is a must needed feature, specially if tutanota wants to target commercial users.
        Now, the apparent reason for not considering this feature is the crypto eco-system of tutanota - which mostly is based on symmetric mechanisms and not purely is PGP centric, which does have the flexibility of working with the mechanisms of IMAP(S)/POP(S). In contrast, I do agree and support the uniqueness of tutanota over PGP centric solutions that it does encrypt the subject (+ headers) of the email as well its body which others don't.
        Though, the only solution which I know of being considered as a complete package (of-course with IMAP/POP) is mailfence.com, which is a 'pure' end-to-end PGP based solution.
        Other solutions include scryptmail, riseup - which I believe are also working to add this feature..

• Colin Arnott commented  · 

In order to deliver your mail to you in the IMAP protocol, the tutao server needs to have access to the plaintext; SMTP is simply the reverse, in order to accept data the server must read in plaintext.

This is something tutao does not want to support, there are many other webmail providers that offer this feature if required. https://tutanota.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/470761-can-i-retrieve-my-tutanota-emails-via-imap-to-anot

Finally this is not a good idea for you, as this key sharing or decryption is likely a one way process, and if you ever enabled IMAP you would never get full protection of your data back.

Feedback and Knowledge Base