I suggest you ...

accept bitcoin for premium upgrade

Our banks and credit card companies don't need to know about our super private email accounts.

681 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminTutanota Support (Admin, Tutanota) responded  · 

We would like to apologize that Tutanota does not support payments with cryptocurrencies at the moment. In 2016 we took a tough decision to give our encrypted webmail client a complete make over to improve performance, which became particularly important for mobile devices. The new Tutanota client is now in beta – https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/secure-mail-public-beta-release – and much faster. The speed improvement was also necessary to allow us to implement a search feature – https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/first-search-encrypted-data – one of the highest voted feature requests.

Our plan for 2018 is to bring the new client out of beta and to give the iOS and Android apps the same update as well as add the Android app to F-Droid.

Once we have finished this project, we plan to add support for cryptocurrencies. We will take a close look as to what currencies fit best before simply adding one or two. Please let us know your preferred currency and why so we can take this into account!

If you want to speed up our development, you can donate. This helps us to employ more developers.
    https://tutanota.com/community#donate

Thank you very much for your patience and your continuous support!

Your Tutanota Team

80 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I don't think it would be a concern among majority of the users. Tutanota does a great job of defending privacy rights but the fact is that most people don't use cryptocurrencies for payments these days. Instead they use credit/debit and Paypal. So I'd say this is up to Tutanota as it won't have that big of an effect on the product itself.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please consider using payment gateway from www.rocketr.net, which lets you accept Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH) and Ethereum simply and painlessly.

• Anonymous commented  · 

http://coinpayment.net/ is becoming widely popular for it's simplicity and a flexibility, I think something like this is your best bet instead of offering individual crypto-currency and multiple aggregates.

I'm sure you're aware of it as several VPN companies have deployed the solution and have had success with it, it would be interesting to hear your confirmation.

• Mel commented  · 

Is anyone else concerned about spammers and criminals abusing Tutanota Premium if anonymous payment is allowed? The daily limit on email sending is what prevents spammers from using and abusing the free accounts; if they can upgrade to Premium while remaining anonymous they might take advantage of the increased flexibility of Premium to send ransomware, spam, etc.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Clearly Monero is the best option for your service.

Integration through Globee should be straightforward.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Looking forward to finally being allowed to pay for premium!

Whatever you do, please make sure you implement support for multiple cryptos.

Bitcoin has the widest reach, it's a must. Everyone knows about the fees though (even though they've fallen recently), so you need to support the second tier payment coins: Litecoin, Dash, BitcoinCash. Also, Ethereum, while not primarily a payment coin has such a huge following that you might want to consider it (beware of privacy concerns though).

Monero is the best coin there is for privacy, so would be the natural match for Tuta, but it is a bit different from the Bitcoin-clones so may be harder to implement, but you owe it to your brand to seriously look into it.

Also, keep an eye on bitcoin (and Litecoin and other coin) payments through Lightning Network (LN) that is slowly rolling out this year and will probably see major mainstream adoption starting in 2019 and after all this multi-year delayal with bitcoin implementation at Tutanota, you don't want to build a system that didn't at least seriously consider LN if LN takes off big time in 2019. (To clarify, LN is not a new coin, but a better way to pay with the coins that supports it, including bitcoin)

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from the centralized anti-privacy coins such as Ripple, Stellar. They are an anti-thesis to the idea of Tutanota.

• [Deleted User] commented  · 

Looking forward to finally being allowed to pay for premium!

Whatever you do, please make sure you implement support for multiple cryptos.

Bitcoin has the widest reach, it's a must. Everyone knows about the fees though (even though they've fallen recently), so you need to support the second tier payment coins: Litecoin, Dash, BitcoinCash. Also, Ethereum, while not primarily a payment coin has such a huge following that you might want to consider it (beware of privacy concerns though).

Monero is the best coin there is for privacy, so would be the natural match for Tuta, but it is a bit different from the Bitcoin-clones so may be harder to implement, but you owe it to your brand to seriously look into it.

Also, keep an eye on payments through Lightning Network (LN) that is slowly rolling out this year and will probably see major mainstream adoption starting in 2019 and after all this multi-year delayal with bitcoin implementation at Tutanota, you don't want to build a system that didn't at least seriously consider LN if LN takes off big time in 2019.

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from the centralized anti-privacy coins such as Ripple, Stellar. They are an anti-thesis to the idea of Tutanota.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Tutanota Support (Admin, Tutanota) responded · Jan 21, 2016
        "We plan to add Bitcoin support for Premium in the first half of 2016."

Tutanota Support (Admin, Tutanota) responded · Nov 4, 2016
        "We plan to add Bitcoin support for Premium in the first half of 2017."

Tutanota Support (Admin, Tutanota) responded · Jul 14, 2017
        "We are working hard to add Bitcoin support for Premium by the end of 2017."

It's 2018. Time to update your stalling notice!

And once you're at it, add Dash, Bitcoin Cash or some other currency that still works to your promise. Bitcoin doesn't.

• Anon commented  · 

It would be wonderful to have this feature. I've been waiting for this forever. Couldn't you just integrate bitpay like everyone else does?

• Anonymous commented  · 

its 2018!

*reloads page franticly*

• Anonymous commented  · 

I cannot pay premium with bitcoin. It stills only shows either credit card or paypal. Please update the upgrade to premium function inside the email interface to include BITCOIN payment.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Got that premium promotion in my inbox. Sorry, no crypto currency = no paid crypto email.

And by crypto currency, I specifically don't mean Bitcoin only. You pretty much missed the train with Bitcoin. Or perhaps, to put a more positive spin on it, congratulations, you saved the 20 minutes it takes to integrate a Bitpay or Coinbase widget. By now, Bitcoin lost its usability as payment network. I moved on to other alternatives. Since you're taking forever anyway, do it right and offer other currencies if you want my money.

• Max Schons commented  · 

You should consider adding GloBee as a payment service. They would alow Monero Payments as well!

• Anonymous commented  · 

This feature is Completed, I have paid my premium accout on bitpay. Please close it.

• Anonymous commented  · 

If you take THAT long to implement a simple payment widget, it better has support for usable e-cash cryptos like Bitcoin Cash or Dash when it launches. I divested my Bitcoin - fees too high, confirmations too long.

• BTC commented  · 

This would greatly improve user experience, myself included

• Anonymous commented  · 

Judging by the comments on this post, it would probably be a good idea to, when you finally accept bitcoin as payment, send out an email to all subscribers letting them know of the new feature. I know I would donate if the option was available. In the meantime, thanks a lot for all you do.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base