I suggest you ...

Please allow us to remove unwanted Aliases (..or buy more than 5)

We have been waiting for the ability to buy more aliases & now it's finally arrived this feature is severely limited.

Once a user has played with 5 Aliases, they can no longer change their mind & pick different ones.

I understand (although don't agree with) the policy of never recycling usernames. However locking aliases that users no longer want to their accounts is severely penalising your early adopters. We are trying to work our way around a new domain/alias system that has very few help pages created yet.

Please either allow us to remove (not disable) aliases from our accounts or allow us to buy more than 5.

376 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Suzie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider the cool-down feature for deleting alias emails.
        I understand it's important for sales, but having email accounts blocked indefinitely is also not a wise idea.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow the removal of aliases. It's not a strong selling point for keeping customers.

• Abe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a new Tutanota Premium client & just created aliases for different functions. I was appalled to learn that after making 2 typos, I'd reached my 5 aliases limit after settling on 3 other aliases. Even after deactivating the other aliases, they remain against my limit of 5. I want to support privacy services like Tutanota, but not allowing the deletion of mistaken aliases is unreasonable, especially since aliases is a key way so many of us manage our privacy.

• Antti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a part of this feature set could it be possible to add genration of disposable email addresses for temporary use? Or should I write separate idea thread for this?

Same as Ark, I want to delete my unused alias but I can't. Once I've paid for the service, I expected to be able to re-configure it, I'm disappointed about this ;(

Also, I think aliases should be free and unlimited (or limited to 100 instead of 5) for custom domains, because it doesn't reduces the number of available emails in Tuta's domains.

• Ines commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tend toward agreement with the arguments of Anonymous · October 21, 2015 19:30

Why have an alias limit at all? It is actually a fundamental aspect of privacy; an email address when used everywhere quickly becomes a user-key to a marketeers honeypot. A nice way to track you. It's a significant issue.

With an alias my address can no longer be matched to its usage elsewhere and thus one can foil their attempts to "get to know me" and the rest....

Very happy to pay a pricely sum for it; so long as it was near to unlimited. I'm sorry, I don't see the argument to the limiting factor of 5 or 10 or X. Although I do see a very valid argument for it being broadly unlimited for the privacy reasons stated above. I'd be quite content to pay per address.

The Yahoo implementation seems quite well thought-out (about the only thing going for it to be honest). At least with that style of implementation the account user is only reserving one unique name.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have said, restricting aliases on custom domains is a bit petty but I can understand why you'd want to do this for aliases overall: to keep things manageable for email routing and to avoid unnecessary spam issues ballooning. So forcing users to think carefully about the aliases they create is just good discipline.

What you may want to rethink is your pricing policy on adding more aliases. While users can be limited to 5 "active" aliases at any one time (or more if they purchase them) then they should still be able to retire old ones for new. Perhaps you add a "cooling off" or monthly restriction so that only a limited number of new aliases can be added in any month of service? So this makes folk think about use but doesn't penalise them.

Of course you can't recycle old aliases so you have to keep these tagged to users but maybe there can been a user "confirm permanent" deletion of old aliases that puts them into permanent stasis on your servers.

• Ark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to delete unused alias. Like my case, I enter the username as a typo, but I can not change it.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes remove the limit of Alias and please let people delete aliases and register new ones.

• Another Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous - Wouldn't a catch-all account and rules serve the same purpose, without as much effort and without taking up dedicated aliases?

http://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/9133042-allow-catch-all-account-for-custom-domain (alt description for another service here - https://help.hushmail.com/entries/352592-How-do-I-setup-a-catch-all-email-address-)

https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/7097611-inbox-rules

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Along with this please separate the alias limits for tutanota domains and personal domains so that personal domains can have their own limit of aliases. For premium users that reserved tutanota domain aliases because they are not reusable, they now have fewer available domain aliases. The current limit is restricted to 5 overall irrespective of the domain (and especially because tutanota domain aliases cannot/would not be permanently deleted because they are not reused.) Having a shared alias limit seems to defeat the purpose of using the service with a personal domain. Thanks

I don't even know why the amount is limited to 5. If there really has to be a limit set it to like 250 or something. I would like to use for every website where I register on to have a separate alias. I had this before and it was very cool since I see which specific site is going to sell my email address to third parties. When I get spam I immediately see which site is responsible for it. After this it would be nice to be able to delete this address and not getting spam from this sender anymore.

Feedback and Knowledge Base