I suggest you ...

Set a different «Name» for alias

The alias feature is cool, but it renders kind of useless for what I want to do (because, obviously, it is useful in other cases).

I have my primary email address, which I use for personal stuff everyday, on the Internet. With my well known nickname.

And create an alias, for more «official» things. Sites where I want to my real name is visible. And where I want to have a more appropiate addres, like myrealnamemysurname@tuta.io.

I don't want to mix this two identities.

The problem here is that tutanota only allows you to set One «Name» in «Edit User», so, if I set that field with my nickname, when I use my alias address for sending «official» emails, when people receive them, they will know my personal alias.

And, if I set that field with my real name, then will be the people who know me by my nickname who will know my real name (and, sometimes, I don't want that).

I think that it's logic to think about the possibility of manage two identities here. What do you think?

811 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    soulchainer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cherub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would support different identities (and signatures) for each alias. Fastmail does a great job with this. I hope Tutanota implements this asap.

• alx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems very popular, what is the status? It seems like a bad move privacy-wise to not have this.

• S134 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just recently moved to a premium account in order to use the aliases to separate my personal email from business. Now I have discovered that I have to use the same sender name. This misses the point of unique addresses.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like commented below, we indeed need better support with names and signatures for different aliases.

It just look unprofessional to people I email with to have no name field just because otherwise the name field from my personal and business accounts all mingle.

The same goes for signatures, those also shouldn't share across signature. I know no one who uses his personal signature with business emails, or who uses his business signature and contact info for personal emails.

I totally agree with this request, and am sad to see that it has been UNDER REVIEW for more than 2 years :-/

• YSB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am badly surprised to learn about this. I hope aliases will have an identity soon.

• P.N. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was looking for buy premium account because interested in aliases. Lukily I read this post ignored by Tutanota Team from 2015, about useless aliases system!

• L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's tempting to implement features in stages. E.g., first allow multiple email addresses, but not multiple signatures or full names. Later, plan to implement more things.

But this can be a flawed strategy. Some things go together and must be implemented together. If you're going to implement multiple email addresses, you must at the same time implement multiple signatures and multiple full names.

I think the Tutanota software developers did not think far enough ahead and added features somewhat randomly. They should have planned ahead more carefully.

I didn't upgrade my account to a paid account because I was waiting for them to handle bitcoins properly. Now that I have discovered that they did not implement multiple identities properly, I am glad I did not upgrade. I would have been very disappointed.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're past the year and a half mark since this suggestion was posted... A response from the tutanota team would be great!

Any update on this? Really waiting for it. I paid for this service only to find that the lack of 'identities' makes unusable for me

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An absolute must have.

One way round this with the current app version is to leave the Name field in Settings blank so the receiver gets the full email address in the From field.

Agree too on having "per alias" settings for the signature.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, I like much more than two (or even five!) aliases as it is beneficial to segregate the non-personal identities too. But, I agree with this feature request. The biggest benefit I find with Tutanota is the ability to divide and isolate our email accounts into various areas for personal use, work, commercial, play, etc. That way, a random website I order food from doesn't need to know the email id I use to declare my tax. Which is good. However, the food website also needn't know my real name, and if that configurability were possible with the account here, it would have been excellent - a tool to prevent dissemination of my private information to those who don't need to know them.

I too think unique name for each alias makes sense, otherwise the utility of the alias is questionable.

• Colin Arnott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree and would love to see this feature, but could see a use case for an alias with the same identity:

Give address 0 to good friends, and address 1 to everyone else; let address 0 pass directly to your inbox and filter address 1 to an unimportant folder.

This is especially useful for automated services, you can have an address junk@example.com and sign up for spammy mailing lists without worrying about too much distracting mail.

• Ann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. The signature feature is useless to me unless I waste either my alias address or my main address.

Why would someone use an alias account if s/he is going to put the SAME identity in the signature of both the main and the alias account??

(I hope the free account isn't being set up with this meaningless joint signature . . . only to force a purchase in order to actually have BOTH a real alias and a non-illusory signature option.)

Feedback and Knowledge Base