I suggest you ...

Don't rely on gcm for push notifications on Android

Users with no gapps cannot receive real time notifications when a new mail arrives, since google play services and gcm (google cloud messaging) are missing. I suppose the goal using Tutanota is privacy, so being forced to install gapps (and therefore google play services) to receive real time notifications, kind of defeats that purpose.

1,016 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Thanos shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

This is a showstopper for me. Seems like every "secure mail provider" is still owned by Google and thus dependant of the GCM. Protonmail has the exact same story... Not letting anyone know WHEN this will be implemented.

This implies that I assume that someday this will be implemented. I know that is presumptious from me, but how are you gonna take yourself seriously as a secure mail provider and still not take this feature seriously by just letting us know something. For all we know this is an impossible thing, don't believe that, but still, let us know something here. 1007 votes already is something...

• greg commented  · 

Don't rely on Google for anything!

• Pablo commented  · 

Hello. I support that idea about not having to install google apps. If we want privacy we will have to wait a better mobile operative system (at a normal price, Copperhead is not an option for my pocket), but for now android with something like F-droid is a very interesting option. So, please, consider not having to rely on google apps. Thank you¡

• temp commented  · 

"but need a few more months" its been more then a year );

• Elad Nava commented  · 

An alternative to GCM which does not rely on Google Play Services is Pushy.

Pushy (https://pushy.me/) offers a highly-reliable push notification gateway for Android apps that works independently from GCM, using its own background MQTT connection.

Full disclosure: I founded Pushy.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I just got a premium account and I am praying you will use some of those funds to build this feature :-) please... pretty please....

• Mark commented  · 

Hope that this will be implemented soon, I agree with an earlier comment about needing Google Apps to use a privacy enhancing tool like Tutanota. Surprised this has been open for almost a year to be honest.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Ok I talked too fast, after a reboot with GCM through MicroG, push notifications are actually working with Tutanota. It is the only app that needs this though, which is a little sad.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I also use MicroG to have an opensource alternative, and it works great with every app I use except Tutanota. I can't get push notifications even when activating GCM from MicroG.

With this, and future Tutanota calendar, It'll be perfect! Good work Tutanota team!

• abac commented  · 

Any news on this?
        Since I have installed AOSP MM without GApps, and receive no any notifications from Tutanota...
        PS: I have completely switched over from gmail to tutanota, and except couple of apps among which Tutanota which are still not working fine, everything is well and better without GApps.

• Anon commented  · 

I would like to know when this might happen too. I paid for an account on the understanding push notifications would work with the android app but it is only now, after finding that they don't, that I have discovered this thread ... Perhaps the FAQ should mention that gapps are necessary for the current setup to work?

• Anonymous commented  · 

Is there a timeline for this?

• Sid Amos commented  · 

Please keep GCM at least as an option. Works fine for me.

But receiving push emails at all should be possible to switch on and off.

• bob commented  · 

Another request wondering when this will be implemented. I intend to switch to Tutanota once notifications work without gcm.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Hi. Do you have a view on when this will be implemented? I switched to Tutanota so to remove google from my life, and now it seems I need google gapps to get this working...

• Aj commented  · 

Any update on this? I would really like to have this feature. Thanks

• Justin Michaud commented  · 

I second this. As someone already mentioned, Textsecure was running into the same issue. Is there any way the two projects could collaborate and share some code?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base