I suggest you ...

Add Refresh Button

When I've left my computer idle for a while, or when I re-open my laptop after a long while, I still have the Tutanota website running, but I don't get new emails. I always have to log out and log back in to retrieve the latest emails. It might be nice to have a simple refresh button in the app that would force a reload of latest emails.

184 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Concerned Citizen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  AdminTutanota Support (Feedback Manager, Tutanota) responded  · 

Thanks, this is a valid request, but we would rather like to focus on fixing the automatic download of new emails if it there are problems with this feature, instead of adding a button which should normally not have any effect.

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, there has to be some sort of refresh either with the email itself or a refresh button. I have converstations via email since I dont have a smartphone and I can't do that with this email unless I keep logging out. Overall I just signed up today and will see if I keep this email. So far I like it alot, it is very simple, smoothe interface, love the latin and the fact its from Germany.

• Martijn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, the mobile app only properly refreshes on my android phone when I completely kill the app and start it from scratch. Majority of the time I have a notification, but on the mobile I do not get new emails visible in the app. Major annoyance!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most apps, including Gmail on Android, allow the user to pull down on the email list to refresh the view. Let's face it: apps don't always refresh perfectly, even apps with far bigger dev teams than yours. There's no shame in providing a way to do this. It doesn't have to require precious screen space if you use a motion like the Android pull down method.

• teste commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's a different feature that would be simpler than adding the refresh button but would be equally useful: that the Inbox button would work as a refresh button when clicked and that some loading icon be played when the user clicks the Inbox button. I find it really confusing when I click the Inbox button, nothing happens and I don't know if Tutanota is searching for new messages or not. What do you think of this alternative?

• wddlzcoh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote for this as well, It's the only real problem I've had so far. I often have to refresh the page and re-enter my password to check for new emails. I'm using a browser on windows. Keep up the good fight.

• ET1982 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unless there is some sort of security benefit from not having a refresh button, I also support adding such a feature. It is a standard function on every other email system I've ever encountered.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to highlight that this is a must. Especially on my web browser. I need to manually press F5 to refresh the page in order to see my new emails. I thought in this day and age with HTML5 it should be quite straight forward to have an automated refresh that works reliably like in Gmail and Outlook.com. Hope this will be a priority for the development team as I just upgraded to Premium.

• Early Adopter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using the iPhone app on a daily basis and I set up everything to get notifications but they never come !
    Even when I open the app

It's only when I send an email that finally all the email that where addressed to me are received all at once.

It's really annoying when for instance I'm going to an appointment and I'm waiting for an answer like where should we meet up.

And I finally receive the other person's email 1h after it was sent because I wasn't notified and I got angry and finally sent a "I can't wait any longer I'm going back home"

A simple refresh button in the app would be really really helpful

Otherwise we can never be sure we received all the emails sent to us

Please prioritize this upgrade for the next release

Thanks in advance for considering this request

Feedback and Knowledge Base