I suggest you ...

Enhance login security

Suppose you have a special place from where you can read messages in confidentiality. Now you have the ability to get messages to this special place. This place is so special because you and only you can enter this place. You enter by entering your user specific login name and special key.

However the login is corrupted when the same login name is used as your contact address. The issue is that you spread a part of your login method when you give away your email address. The login is in this sense not as confidential as your email account, your special place.

The account can be locked, protected and security enhanced with ten thousand bodyguards, tigers, hacker proof layers and you name it, but when the door is highlighted and less as good as the account itself than the whole idea of a special confidential email account becomes obsolete.

Getting a part of the login is in this sense no problem because it is spread openly but is not freely done in a good way because it is part of a bad procedure.

It becomes more of a problem when more and more places ask to give your email address as recovery method. When several addresses are collected the problem get larger for the email provider.

> >> Enhance login security by using a LOGIN NAME and LOGIN KEY different than the email address.

103 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    rgrvr shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • 11116316 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do agree,
        I remember that in the '90s some email account required/allowed a different user for login than your email address.
        This feature got lost because of "practicality" and "easy to use" "easy to remember" issues.
        We should go back to the origins!

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great if this could be a default standard setting as it increases security. At the moment anyone can use any tutanota email aliases to login.

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could also combine this with 2FA. So when someone uses this function, they could input their username & then an one-time code sent to their phone or by putting an ubikey into the usb drive to authenticate it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe in line with this suggestion: I noticed that when a user logs out, the interface returns to the login screen. I've seen on multiple boxes/ browsers that the Email Address entry on the login page is not cleared. Hence, the email address of the user remains on screen for all to see until the user closes the page. Imagine if the user logs and runs off... Hello, dilbert@tutanota.com

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

fastmail.fm have an alias facility and it is not possible to log in unless the email address created at sign up is used and it must be more secure if this original email address is only used for logging in, not emails...ever.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestion is just "Security through Obscurity". It shouldn't matter who knows the username/e-mail address - a good password is sufficient protection. So in that sense, Tutao could make this a premium feature because it is only useful to those who believe it is.

However, this may be useful for avoiding a DOS attack for a particular user.

"The enemy knows the system" - Claude Shannon

• Ann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!
        To be forced to surrender half of one's security at the most fundamental level because a site/app demands use of part/all of one's email address is . . . a stunning, unnerving crack in privacy and security.

Why worry about two-factor security if one hasn't first done the easiest two things to "lock the door" in the first place?!

• rgrvr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice to hear my comment is appreciated. The only thing is that I hope that it will still be possible to use the account with the enhanced security ‘freely’. Just like the ‘free idea of enhancing the security’ which was provided. Now I know that you must ‘make a living’ but it would be reasonable to give something back to the community. How you does this ‘in a reasonable matter for both parties’ is up to you.

>>> Tank You & Keep up the good work.

• SwissTengu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This joins some other solutions, such as Threema (ok, no login, but the username is some random string) and, in some points, BitMessage (is it even still alive? ;) )

Thus +1 for no sending away a credential information.

Feedback and Knowledge Base