I suggest you ...

Disable login for alias name to safeguard your real account

The alias system is a great idea but what good does it do if one can still access your account by logging in using the alias name?

Since I assume most people use the alias name to give people they don't fully trust, it seems like a good idea to disable access to your account with the "fake" email you gave them, and thus a hacker will have a much harder time accessing your account when he doesn't even know your real login name.

Perhaps make this an option under Settings?

478 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Safety shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I signed up for a paid account assuming this would be the case (I have a paid account with another email provider where logins using an alias are not allowed).

It seems to me that allowing logins with an alias (with the same password as the primary account) is the same as using the same password for several different accounts - something users are always advised not to do, on security grounds.

Are you still planning to go ahead with this? The status is 'planned' but is dated in June 2015...

P.S. I was going to put my email address and name to this comment, but after looking at the UserVoice Terms of Service I decided to remain as anonymous as possible.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Tutanota Support, it says a similar feature (optional) to 'disable login for alias' was planned back in 2015. Any release date in mind for that feature (along with 2FA obviously)?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed, the login in credentials should be totally unrelated to your email address/aliases, much like login in to your computer isn't related to the creds needed to login to your [on-prem or cloud] apps

It's a nice layer of security but most important, it's a decoupling between the account itself and whatever email aliases you may want to use or not…

…but we still need 2FA

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree with some of this and agee with others. As far as being able to login with your alias, I agree that this shouldn't be allowed.

As far as the idea of separating alias and user accounts, I disagree. That is the same as having two different user accounts and negates the reason of an alias.

• adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't use my original email at all. I would prefer to sign in only with my alias.

• Anonymous Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One huge issue I have with the Alias account is that (as far as I know,) it uses the same "user name" even though the email address was different. What good is that. The only reason I learned about this is that a person responded and learned my "fake" name which happens to be the primary account. There needs to be a provision for an Alias user name which is used with the alias email address. My opinion is that you should only be able to log into the primary account and subsequently use the alias email if desired. In lieu of that, there should be a checkbox option where you choose to log into a single account or to both. But what is most important is the ability to create a different identity. You cannot hack what does not exist. I consider applying the same identity to both accounts event though the email address is different to be an extremely dangerous flaw in guarding the privacy of the end user.

• b.tampanella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the idea of Safety is great: implement a system where the login name is different form the email address. In this way you can protect your account very well!
        Biagio

• Safety commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I authored the suggestion above but after some thinking, it may be even better (more safe) to implement a system where one's login name is completely separate from the email addresses. This could also obstruct, for example, a snooping browser plugin from linking your IP and e-mail account as it secretly uploads your info to a server, accessible to them and the NSA. Any thoughts on this?

Feedback and Knowledge Base