I suggest you ...

Alter/Drop this planned activity "Option to set default (encrypted, not encrypted) for non-Tutanota user emails"

Currently you are taking up above described task. Please read my take on this and do what you think is best for users.

Planned task:
---------------
Right now, if you are sending an email to someone with a non-Tutanota email address, the system defaults to treating it as an ecrypted message, requiring the recipient to follow a link, enter a password, etc. You can disable this by clicking a button.

This sort of encryption for non-Tutanota users is a great thing, of course.

But I imagine most of the time, I'm going to want to just send regular non-encrcypted messages to non-Tutanota addresses and don't want to have to click the button every time (and will be likely to forget). I'd like to be able to set which way the system defaults when entering a non-Tutanota address.

My take on this :
-----------------------------

I strongly feel that, giving users option to send encrypted or non-encrypted messages each time to someone with a non-Tutanota email address, is far better than just one time setting as suggested by above author (In fact this is one of the thing people like about Tutanota). This is because for some non-Tutanota users I want to send encrypted message but for some others I don't want to do it. Suppose if there was one time setting for non-Tutanota users,then according my above scenario,which all Tutanota users will encounter,selecting encryption and decryption, will become very tedious and of course irritating. I hope you can keep existing thing and also incorporate above users comment.

Thanks !

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
vijay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Colin Arnott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that it is nice to coerce users to encrypt their traffic, but I have several friends that refuse to use the 3rd party encryption because it is too much hassle. Moreover, coercion has the nasty habit of driving users from your platform if there is too much hassle with the encryption layer.

I think that the current implementation actually allows one to never encrypt too easily, and I would have them instead have the permission set at the recipient level. Making it easier to encrypt by default but not a hassle to send unencrypted mail.

• Colin Arnott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

note that they have implemented the ability to set default state of confidential button in the settings menu: blog.tutanota.de/beta-time-is-over-release-notes-1-9/2015/03/24/

Feedback and Knowledge Base