I suggest you ...

Choosing language under "Settings"

Currently, the Tutanota app appears to be running the same language as the one used by the browser or operating system. Sometimes, it is useful to be able to choose the mail client's language, regardless of browser or system settings.

For instance, Tutanota also supports languages that aren't supported by other software. This makes those locales virtually unusable.

Could you please add an option to choose/switch the locale for the Tutanota app?

198 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Getoar shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Come on IT , don't disappoint so many users, I already signed up and I see dutch browser, I am Polish but I would love to have my tutamail in english language. It can't be so hard to manage, Right?

• marta57 commented  · 

Bitte machen Sie eine freie Wahl der Sprache nicht über den Browser oder den Ort, und auf Wunsch des Benutzers - es ist einfach...

• Anonymous commented  · 

Bitte +1 Stimme für Spracheinstellungen nach belieben, nicht nach Browser oder Location. Bitte bitte bitte :))

• Anonymous commented  · 

I am in Ecuador (language spanish) however I speak English and would like my tutanota email to be in English. how can this be changed

• Alex commented  · 

Yes please!

• Anonymous commented  · 

I need it too. My browser is set to English to minimize browser fingerprinting but I want my Tutanota mailbox in a different language. Why is manually setting a default language not possible? It can't be rocket science.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Also just signed up to test the service and am deeply disappointed to see that my inbox is in German - even though I speak German. Just not used to it nor do I want to get used to it because most of my mailing is in English. Browser is set to English. System language to English too, just the location (in Windows) is set to Germany. That the reason for the inbox picking it up? I will likely not stay with the service let alone upgrade to a paid plan.

• Tetiana commented  · 

Is that so hard to do? Why is it still not done? And even have not been reviewed since 2015?

• Henry commented  · 

Fully agree with that requirement. Tha's an esasy option to implement and is a must.

• Anonymous commented  · 

still not possible? omg...

• Denis Bisson commented  · 

It's really strange that it is still not possible and still no explanation why. You know, if it's not possible, too difficult or there is a technical or special reason for why, you still not implement the possibility to set the language within the web page, well, say it... We'll understand or at least we'll know.

Like [xis] is saying, it's true that it's a little frustrating to see the smiley in the support page after the support is saying to change the language of the web browser itself.

Anyway... I also voted for this as a something that it should be natural to have as an option...

• Lorin commented  · 

COME ON. JUST FIX THHIS. 133 VOTES ALREADY. FIX IT - NOW!

• Duilio commented  · 

My current system is in spanish, my google chrome is in spanish, but tutanots is in english by default, and no option to change anything under tutanota "settings".

• Anonymous commented  · 

What is this? Not fixed yet? If you are using Tor you got to have English as default. It is a security risk not to have. As other people said hare... just fix it. You are very persistant and not service minded. This is a VERY simple thing to fix.

• xis commented  · 

frustrating... as well as the smiley in the "support" comment

• Aaron commented  · 

This is the only reason why I hate Tutanota. I want use English, but it is impossible with Tutanota.

Changing the browser setting is not an option for me. There has to be a manual override.

• Rivok commented  · 

Dear Tutanota,

the point of privacy is personal control: you as a person have control of what information you share with whom. You give your users this kind of control, and it's awesome.

Wouldn't it be philosophically consistent, then, to also give your users the control over the interface language they want to use? You don't have to delete your chic language-as-a-OS/browser-environment-function logic; all we ask for is the option for manual override ;-)

(Really: I work as a QA and when something is automated in such a way user cannot modify unintended results, the outcome is user frustration. I could instantly think of 3 test cases when the automatically selected language would be incorrect/improper. Manual override always saves the day ;-) )

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please, DO CREATE an option to use ENGLISH. Is it not still available??? Shame on you.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base