I suggest you ...

Display the email address (not the person's name) in the "TO:" section

Please allow display of the email address (and not just the person's name) in the TO: section.

It is NOT helpful to just have a person's name displayed in the TO: section when composing emails. Sometimes people have more than one email address and displaying just the name can lead to sending emails to the wrong address. I need to be able to verify I am sending where I think I am sending.

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminTutanota Support (Admin, Tutanota) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the discussion on this issue and thanks for the pull request. We have had a look at it and how the email address can fit into the sender/recipients line. Unfortunately on mobile devices the space is very limited and adding the email address (name <email_address>) there would not be helpful in many cases. So we decided to add it only in desktop mode. As the pull request does not cover all cases, we will implement it on our own soon.

• ghost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i strongly agree that we should see the email address by default not the name, very annoying. please fix in next release, asap..

• Ann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Name" + <email>

Name: (a) as is set in Contacts or, if not stored there, (b) as sender gives it

Address: with a drop-down menu for contacts with >1 address.

Thank you.

• Jim Jameson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with OP. Please display email address. It avoids a lot of misunderstanding and confusion. Gmail also only displays name and it's really annoying! Yahoo also recently converted to name only. But the email address is honestly the best!

Email address avoids all confusion. Please consider this as an option for those who get annoyed with just seeing the name in the "TO:" field.

• greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also find it annoying that email addresses do not display.

There have been occasions where the address I thought I clicked in the dropdown is not the one that populated the field. I just read a newspaper article how this very thing happened to an Australian government official and sensitive stuff was sent to the wrong person. So showing the email address is important for security and privacy of the transmission.

I do not feel it adds clutter at all. It is a necessary display. It is where you are sending the email. It should display.

• Colin Arnott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are aware that you can select a particular email address when you type a contact's name, and after it is entered and just shows their name you can still hover or click on the name to get the full email address. While it could be nice to show this, I feel like it clutters the interface and for most cases it is not necessary.

Feedback and Knowledge Base