I suggest you ...

Create a desktop application for OS X, Linux, and Windows

Just signed up and -love- the service and simplicity. Very well done, guys!

I have a strong desire to have the SAME application for e-mail on Windows, OS X and Linux, as well as my iPhone and Android devices. I know that's a lot of platforms to support, but if you were able to leverage some of the code behind GitHub's Atom editor (github.com/atom/atom), you might be able to bring a desktop client out for OS X/Windows/Linux much more quickly by leveraging your existing web app.

All things considered however, this is a great service that I really like. Way to go!

2,379 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    J. Austin Hughey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminTutanota Support (Admin, Tutanota) responded  · 

We are happy to inform you that we have started to build desktop applications for OS X, Linux and Windows. Desktop clients will enable you to import emails to your encrypted Tutanota mailbox as well as give you offline access. Building desktop clients is an extensive project, so we cannot give an exact ETA.

If you would like to support our development team, please donate to Tutanota: https://tutanota.com/community#donate

We use this money to further grow our development team and speed up our development: https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/welcome-ivan

Thank you very much for your support!
    Your Tutanota Team

87 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chrus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when cloud storage or this comes out, I will join in gladly. and pay for pro.

I will pay 24$ a year if i can get both. :) 2gb of cloud + cross platform compatibility. (debian/ubuntu support especially.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been holding out for this feature, when it is offered I will go Premium.

I also would like to support the idea of a kind of plugin for common mail clients. This would integrate the emails in other workflows and apps like Spotlight.

Although I appreciate the idea, isn't using a privacy considering email provider on "Big Slurp" OS's a bit silly? Especially if you then potentially facilitate the slurp by using a native application. Cortana/ Siri, please read to my private email to me...

• QualoZe0t commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

definitely supporting osx platform will be great . I would prefer to avoid any connection to Mail or any 3party soft as Mail,Outlook or whatever ...

• Ana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better than writing a complete mail client, wouldn't it be easeir to write some kind of plugin that works on the main mail clients of various OS? Besides, couldn't be established some kind of norms, of standards fo these new secure email services like you, Protonmal, Startmail, etc so mail clients could jut follow those standards to make themselves compatible with secure mail? It's a pain, all these incompatiblities; email should be universal, easy, not like instant messengers, each incompatible with the others, but sadly you are making it that way.
        Please, talk among yourselves, try to reach agreements in regard to protocols, standards. We should be able to send encrypted mails to every encrypted mal provider user in the world in an easy manner, not with those stilted methods we need to use actually.

• Jose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would ask for a connector (as a plugin, program or whatever) this way we could be able to use thunderbird, evolution, outlook, claws or another MUA.

I don't know if it is possible opening a port using a firefox/chrome plugin, but a connector using a browser plugin could be VERY VERY handy.

• El Mau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it's a great idea... but, developer it cost very much

but, we can all pay development

The foss community would be very grateful if you had a client available for Linux.

• vicki s commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am adding my vote for a desktop app for Windows...I have two devices and would love to access my email from the desktop thanks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base