I suggest you ...

Create a desktop application for OS X, Linux, and Windows

Just signed up and -love- the service and simplicity. Very well done, guys!

I have a strong desire to have the SAME application for e-mail on Windows, OS X and Linux, as well as my iPhone and Android devices. I know that's a lot of platforms to support, but if you were able to leverage some of the code behind GitHub's Atom editor (github.com/atom/atom), you might be able to bring a desktop client out for OS X/Windows/Linux much more quickly by leveraging your existing web app.

All things considered however, this is a great service that I really like. Way to go!

2,379 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    J. Austin Hughey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminTutanota Support (Admin, Tutanota) responded  · 

We are happy to inform you that we have started to build desktop applications for OS X, Linux and Windows. Desktop clients will enable you to import emails to your encrypted Tutanota mailbox as well as give you offline access. Building desktop clients is an extensive project, so we cannot give an exact ETA.

If you would like to support our development team, please donate to Tutanota: https://tutanota.com/community#donate

We use this money to further grow our development team and speed up our development: https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/welcome-ivan

Thank you very much for your support!
    Your Tutanota Team

87 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When everything is moving to online apps and portals, I don't see the need for a desktop application. If there's a certain functionality you're looking for, why not request that addition to the online platform?

• Tutanota Contributor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I can only agree with other users here: integration into standard mail clients in OSX, Linux and Windows should be next on your agenda. Otherwise Tutanota would always be behind competition ..."

I agree with the importance of being multiplatform, but keep in mind, that Tutanota operates on a limited financial and workforce level, not everyone (can) support their work. There are very few companies outthere, who offer userfriendly, free E2EE mail.
        I also recommend to switch to an open-source security focused OS, because Windows and MacOS are really bad ideas for privacy.

"I don't understand, why the most asked feature is not even planned or under review. Does it mean that you don't think about it at all?"

Same answer as above, Tutanota is operated by a few people, who are bombarded with idealistic wishes, but to implement it, is not easy. To create an open source, free and privacy respecting service is always a hard job.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't care if it is an app or a encrypted Thunderbird plug-in, but I want something for my Linux system.

I don't trust the cloud and I don't trust that cloud services are going to be around for as long as I need them (seen too many cloud services disappear or be taken down - trusting the cloud is a stupid thing to do for anything you care about).

I want a local copy of my mail. I'm a paid subscriber because I want this to succeed but I want a local copy of my mail, please.

Thank you.

• Tutanota Contributor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea is good, and Tutanota needs money from all platforms...

BUT users should be reminded of the dangers of closed source (backdoored) operating systems and hardware.
        Serious, secure and effective user/server computers operate on GNU-Linux and Xen, not OS X or Windows.

Would be great to have these apps download (by choice) the encrypted mailbox to the local device in encrypted format. This way we'd always have a local backup of our emails.

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm working somewhere with slow internet. I would love it if emails were retained on the computer (device) so that they could be accessed quickly when internet is slow or if absent, and to be able to compose emails. I know search is not available yet but this might also be enhanced by having the data synchronised on the device.

• Sofia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to access my e-mail if the Internet connection is down. On my computer, not only on my mobile devices. Since there is no pop, I guess a desktop application should be able to allow this. Thank you. I will upgrade to Premium once this and the export/import functions for contacts and mail are available. Gladly.

• kolossi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can only agree with other users here: integration into standard mail clients in OSX, Linux and Windows should be next on your agenda. Otherwise Tutanota would always be behind competition ...

Your own proprietary app is nice, too. However, many users (incl me) are used to the features of the standard clients (e.g. color tagging, mail rules, follow-ups) and might use several emails in one client ... this would significantly increase your effort to develop your own, competitive app.

Integration please... :)

• B.O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Tutanota team,

I don't understand, why the most asked feature is not even planned or under review. Does it mean that you don't think about it at all?

• X commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

keep encrypted email off apps, if the authorities take your hardware you will need to provide passwords potentially

Here you go I used electron to create a application for desktop.
        https://github.com/zeeshan595/TutanotaDesktop/releases
        For people who don't know how it works. Its basicly a web browser loading the tutanota website I built from their github.
        PS: Windows was giving me issues when i tried to build it. If you like you can download the source code and install npm and build it yourself.

thanks!

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not all of us have constant T1 fiber connection to the net. Some of us need to be able to sync the mail over a bad connection when we have a chance. A desktop client for OSX (and other operating systems) is a must have for that.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A plugin for Thunderbird would get a Premium subscription from me.

Please do NOT do this.
        Its a time sink and a security/maintenance hell.
        Its much better to let Mozilla/Google/Microsoft/Apple pay for maintaining the browser, than you building a desktop app.

• chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this, the fact that you support google, amazon and apple more than actual open source operating systems, is so embarrassing... IF you give them an app, you should give linux an app for damn sure. Or you become hypocrites... If you don't do this within a year, I will give up on you guys and stick with what I know...

Feedback and Knowledge Base