I suggest you ...

Create a desktop application for OS X, Linux, and Windows

Just signed up and -love- the service and simplicity. Very well done, guys!

I have a strong desire to have the SAME application for e-mail on Windows, OS X and Linux, as well as my iPhone and Android devices. I know that's a lot of platforms to support, but if you were able to leverage some of the code behind GitHub's Atom editor (github.com/atom/atom), you might be able to bring a desktop client out for OS X/Windows/Linux much more quickly by leveraging your existing web app.

All things considered however, this is a great service that I really like. Way to go!

2,356 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    J. Austin Hughey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminTutanota Support (Admin, Tutanota) responded  · 

We are happy to inform you that we have started to build desktop applications for OS X, Linux and Windows. Desktop clients will enable you to import emails to your encrypted Tutanota mailbox as well as give you offline access. Building desktop clients is an extensive project, so we cannot give an exact ETA.

If you would like to support our development team, please donate to Tutanota: https://tutanota.com/community#donate

We use this money to further grow our development team and speed up our development: https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/welcome-ivan

Thank you very much for your support!
    Your Tutanota Team

83 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldnt mind donating a lump sum, or even upgrading my tutanota account but there is no true anonymous source of payment available, it's in my understanding that you keep these payment details on record if one is upgrading to a full paid Tutanota service. It's a shame because you could be losing out on a lot of money from many potential clients due to this not being at all private.. I would love to send some cash or even a bank deposit... if possible.. If you can please tell me how I able to upgrade my account without bearing any of my financial institutions information to you.

• ASK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure why we need a desktop client at all - seems very last century tbh. Huge support overheads for one platform, let alone 3 client OSes! If you look at what Microsoft and Google have been able to achieve with online applications, you can see what is possible (and desirable)

will you add the ability to whitelist domains to have the images/html show up without having to approve in each email?

• Douglas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would switch over completely if I cud us this on Mac desktop and iPad/iPhone.

• Emmanuel Goldstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the love of security, just run the android APK in an emulator like ive been doing since WWI. Cmon people, think outside the apple.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is in my opinion very stupid only because it already exists. Just make a webapp!
        If on linux you can use epiphany to make a webapp.

• Rasmus Havhus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PGP in Apple Mail... well, I never felt comfortable with it. Too much to trust, and no visibility in the user interface.

Since Im safekeeping minimum 10 years of mail on my laptop (OSX) I would want everything to be importable, as I cannot handle 2 mail apps, meaning remember where a conversation took place.

• Laraine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very timely that I found you. I 'm not sure I should make a seperate Profile.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think desktop apps are of no use when there are browser versions. Mainly they work exactlly the same. Take Discord for example.

For aesthetic purposes i made a seperate Firefox window with a seperate Profile and hid all of firefoxs elements so that it only shows the tutanota webmail app. Works like a charm.

Create a seperate Profile, simply type "about:profiles" in firefoxs urlbar

second create a shortcut with the Target being "Path-to-Firefox.exe" -P "TutaNota" -no-remote

third make mail.tutanota.de your homepage and set firefox to open homepage on startup

then go into your profile folder:
        %AppData% in windows
        ~/.mozilla in linux
        create a folder named "chrome" in your newly created profile and inside a file named "userChrome.css"

inside userChrome.css type
        #navigator-toolbox{
        display: none;
        }

and enjoy your seperate firefox tutanota app!

Desk top version would be much appreciated, because I could find a way of printing out an email at least.
        I cannot print anything off iOS/iPhone, so I stopped switching my contacts to my Tutanota as I am now onsidering getting something more user-friendly (although I very much like your security standards).
        I understand that you are still growing, but come on, printing is a basic function, like a college 101 course.

• Tutanota Contributor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+Note 1: Insted of a full feature app, Tutanota could invest into a Thunderbird plugin, maybe PGP compatibility? In this case you dont lose much energy, because the app itself is handled by an other group.

+Note 2: It would be nice, if Tutanota would stop "adverising" facebook, google and such, who are practically their enemies. Especially after the Cambridge Analitica case. Just remember, both had problems with the German court because of their data usage practices.
        Although I understand, that it is a way of informing people.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When everything is moving to online apps and portals, I don't see the need for a desktop application. If there's a certain functionality you're looking for, why not request that addition to the online platform?

"I can only agree with other users here: integration into standard mail clients in OSX, Linux and Windows should be next on your agenda. Otherwise Tutanota would always be behind competition ..."

I agree with the importance of being multiplatform, but keep in mind, that Tutanota operates on a limited financial and workforce level, not everyone (can) support their work. There are very few companies outthere, who offer userfriendly, free E2EE mail.
        I also recommend to switch to an open-source security focused OS, because Windows and MacOS are really bad ideas for privacy.

"I don't understand, why the most asked feature is not even planned or under review. Does it mean that you don't think about it at all?"

Same answer as above, Tutanota is operated by a few people, who are bombarded with idealistic wishes, but to implement it, is not easy. To create an open source, free and privacy respecting service is always a hard job.

I don't care if it is an app or a encrypted Thunderbird plug-in, but I want something for my Linux system.

I don't trust the cloud and I don't trust that cloud services are going to be around for as long as I need them (seen too many cloud services disappear or be taken down - trusting the cloud is a stupid thing to do for anything you care about).

I want a local copy of my mail. I'm a paid subscriber because I want this to succeed but I want a local copy of my mail, please.

Thank you.

The idea is good, and Tutanota needs money from all platforms...

BUT users should be reminded of the dangers of closed source (backdoored) operating systems and hardware.
        Serious, secure and effective user/server computers operate on GNU-Linux and Xen, not OS X or Windows.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base