I suggest you ...

Create a desktop application for OS X, Linux, and Windows

Just signed up and -love- the service and simplicity. Very well done, guys!

I have a strong desire to have the SAME application for e-mail on Windows, OS X and Linux, as well as my iPhone and Android devices. I know that's a lot of platforms to support, but if you were able to leverage some of the code behind GitHub's Atom editor (github.com/atom/atom), you might be able to bring a desktop client out for OS X/Windows/Linux much more quickly by leveraging your existing web app.

All things considered however, this is a great service that I really like. Way to go!

1,904 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    J. Austin HugheyJ. Austin Hughey shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

59 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • kolossikolossi commented  · 

I can only agree with other users here: integration into standard mail clients in OSX, Linux and Windows should be next on your agenda. Otherwise Tutanota would always be behind competition ...

Your own proprietary app is nice, too. However, many users (incl me) are used to the features of the standard clients (e.g. color tagging, mail rules, follow-ups) and might use several emails in one client ... this would significantly increase your effort to develop your own, competitive app.

Integration please... :)

• B.OB.O commented  · 

Hi Tutanota team,

I don't understand, why the most asked feature is not even planned or under review. Does it mean that you don't think about it at all?

• XX commented  · 

keep encrypted email off apps, if the authorities take your hardware you will need to provide passwords potentially

• Anonymous commented  · 

Here you go I used electron to create a application for desktop.
        https://github.com/zeeshan595/TutanotaDesktop/releases
        For people who don't know how it works. Its basicly a web browser loading the tutanota website I built from their github.
        PS: Windows was giving me issues when i tried to build it. If you like you can download the source code and install npm and build it yourself.

thanks!

• Anonymous commented  · 

With this tutanota would be just perfect for me! I hope you develop it soon!

• AlexAlex commented  · 

Not all of us have constant T1 fiber connection to the net. Some of us need to be able to sync the mail over a bad connection when we have a chance. A desktop client for OSX (and other operating systems) is a must have for that.

• PaulPaul commented  · 

A plugin for Thunderbird would get a Premium subscription from me.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Please do NOT do this.
        Its a time sink and a security/maintenance hell.
        Its much better to let Mozilla/Google/Microsoft/Apple pay for maintaining the browser, than you building a desktop app.

• chrischris commented  · 

Please do this, the fact that you support google, amazon and apple more than actual open source operating systems, is so embarrassing... IF you give them an app, you should give linux an app for damn sure. Or you become hypocrites... If you don't do this within a year, I will give up on you guys and stick with what I know...

• mariamaria commented  · 

or just a secure notifier for mac win linux?

• Peter JaquesPeter Jaques commented  · 

I love this idea, and as PW said, a desktop application allows for offline use, just logging in to sync. If you have a laptop, surely you can appreciate the usefulness of this...

• TravisTravis commented  · 

I'd like a desktop system. I wouldn't be interested in an add-on to a Thunderbird type program. Makes little sense, paying for a secure, private email system and then routing it through 3rd party software.

• znatokznatok commented  · 

Sorry, but you can't send and receive letters until we approve your account, it will take no more than 48 hours. We do it not to allow violations like spam sending.what shall I do? there have already passed more than 48 hours.

• PWPW commented  · 

A lot of people saying that a web browser works just fine. Those people must have a reliable internet connection. I need a desktop app that syncs (send/receive) when a connection is available for a moment.

• MM commented  · 

Please don't bother. Will drain your people and add no value.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Please do not waste your time making a desktop application. The web is the future, it is "the SAME application" on all OSes and devices, and you only have to maintain it one place.

No one has explained why they want a desktop application. What does it provide that the web app doesn't? I am really curious to know. I suspect it has nothing to do with being a desktop application, but people are just associating "desktop application" with some other feature like being faster.

Like others have said, if you must create something for the desktop, just make a Thunderbird addon. It works on all OSes and does not require you to reinvent the wheel.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base