I suggest you ...

Creating an add-on for an OPEN SOURCE mail client (not just for Outlook, possibly Thunderbird)

734 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Q shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

63 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Balder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found some more info on this topic that I figured I'd share here so someone coming doesn't have to go looking for it again.

@TutanotaTeam tweeted ( https://twitter.com/tutanotateam/status/672003071019507712?lang=en ) a link ( https://techcrunch.com/2015/11/30/thunderbird-flies-away-from-mozilla/ ) which explains abit more about why they decided not to focus on Thunderbird.

This forum topic explains the point of view of a moderator in the mozilla community. (Last update July 19 2018) ( http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=366405 )
    They say Thunderbird never stopped being updated, however Mozilla has in 2012 and in 2015 again more and more stepped away from Thunderbird.
    Nonetheless is it still supported, by a large community, as an open source project. Trough some funding (user donations and other) they even some full time employees working on it.

Tutanota said on reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/tutanota/comments/5l0qey/how_do_i_configure_tutanota_on_thunderbird/ ) that they intend to release a standalone client in the next years (from Jan. 2017)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's summer 2017 and Thunderbird is still not dead! I want my emails on my computer, I don't want to be depend on an Internet connection to be able to read my emails! So, either it's Firefox or any other other solution (export eml), but don't do solely cloud ... that would repel me.

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any information about current development status would be great. Thanks!

• wopwop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wouldnt it be possible to make a fork of thunderbird exclusive for tutanota? a fork would allow thunderbird plugins compatible and coud allow a new path for the mail client (in example how firefox was used to create the tor browser). Having a independent desktop application for email is very useful for managing messages.

• mediarbx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i guess i'm not the only one thinking it's better to take my mail back home, whereever they are stored: when are we going to be able to query our tutanota mails from the opensource Thunderbird ?
    Please ?

Thunderbird is being gradually phased out by Mozilla apparently so will be dead soon. Tutanota could create something similar.
    Integration with Outlook and Mail would also be amazing!!!

Under review since June 2015 for thunderbird plugin, while Outlook is available since day one.

I gave up on you guys today

Please do IMAP support and make it possible to add more than one account in your android app. Thank you.

• Chrus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also appreciate this, but I want this addon also available for icedove (a thunderbird fork)

Nylas N1 is modern a cross platform email client which also offers a very good pluggin interface. I'm not sure it's 100% privacy compliant though.

• AnnOnymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would just love a Thunderbird Add-On!
    And I'd hate to see a really great product like yours not getting the attention and appreciation (and number of users) it deserves just because people are too lazy to manage some of their email accounts in Thunderbird while they still have to log-in separately for their tutanota account...

• Dominik Klein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tutanota is already great but it could be perfect with Thunderbird plug-in. Thanks for your efforts. Keep up the great work!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base