I suggest you ...

Only require username for login (not complete email address with domain name)

Currently when you log in to Tutanota, you have to enter your entire email address username@tutanota.de.

It would be nice to only have to enter one's username, since it's a given that everyone is @tutanota.de anyway.

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
GG shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NON-email-username option is essential for MUCH better security (for users who are careful to invent private usernames and strong pa for their accountl).

Those who wish to use their emsil prefix (name prceding @) could have that option, too, because people vary in the level of security they feel they need . . . and are willing to habitually protect.

• GG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update. That sounds like a good solution to this issue.

I'm perplexed by this. I have email accounts on systems that use several different domains, but my username is exclusive to me and works regardless of the doman attached after the @.

Does this mean that someone else could register the email address with my same username but for one of the other domains. In other words, if I'm username123@tutanota.de, does that mean someone else could be username123@tutanota.com? That could lead to a lot of confusion and I would find that disturbing.

I guess it would be a problem if they allowed different users to have the same user name at different tutanota domain names. I'd be kind of annoyed though if my username were say, george.g and I had the george.g @ tutanota . de address and they let someone else have george.g @ tutanota . com. That could create confusion, as well as encrypted, private emails mistakenly going to the wrong person.

I have another email address where there are several domain names that work with it, but when I signed up that meant I automatically was my username at all the domain name options. That really seems like the only appropriate way to do it.

And obviously, one needs only a username to log into Gmail or Yahoo, which have hundreds of millions of users, so it ought to not be a problem for Tutanota with relatively few users.

• Colin Arnott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While currently this feature would be useful, it could cause issues once they implement multiple or custom domains, no?

Feedback and Knowledge Base