I suggest you ...

Email Header / Details

It would be great to add an option to enable the view of the email header and details (such as the Received, Return-Path, Thread-, Importance, Message-ID, etc.).

It would be very useful in order to determine if an email is legitimate / know details / make sure it is not a phishing tentative.

258 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Gévaudan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nilam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just started using Tutanota. So far I like it. However, I do agree that being able to view email headers is an important feature.

As instructed by Support, I tried hitting Ctrl+h but that hotkey is already reserved by the Firefox browser and causes the browser to show browsing history.

Can you please add a link to your application for this or use a different hotkey combination (ex CTRL+SHIFT+h)?

Thank you,

• Gabriel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no way to see headers without pressing Ctrl+H. Where’s an option for mouse users?

• Hank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ctrl-H now gets a popup that says this:
    ===============================

No email headers available for this message.
    ====================================
    Please fix.

• Hank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could someone there extract headers for me? Ctrl-H does nothing (Mac OSX).
    The problem is with email that begins thus:
    ---------
    Hello SpamCop user,

This email contains special codes and tracking information to help SpamCop
    figure out your specific email configuration. Do not post this email in
    public. It contains confidential information related to the security of
    your SpamCop account.

Please return this complete email, preserving full headers and the special
    tracking codes below.
    ----------
    and I can't make that work. Please email me if there's a way to get the headers.

• Hank Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ctrl-h does NOTHING

Firefox, on Mac

Please find a way to provide full email headers.
    NOTE: "forward as attachment" would do fine.
    So would sending to printer with full headers.

ANYTHING THAT WORKS.
    Please

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. This is a badly needed feature. Should be fairly simple to implement.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A basic feature in any email client... it is in the incoming message and don't have to parse much.

• Tony Webster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your users have been asking for email headers for 18 months. I expressed detailed concern about the lack of security and protection being experienced by your users over four months ago.

You need to provide email headers, or provide a detailed plan with a timeline indicating when you will provide them, or shut down. This should not be considered a feature request; again, this is a prerequisite to providing an email service.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I receive many transactional e-mails of which I cannot click buttons. If I could view raw, I could find the link the button would direct me to, and manually paste the link into my browser. As it stands, I can do nothing but contact support from the organization sending the e-mail.

• jeremy clarke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Super important feature. I can't debug issues with forwarding without access to headers (e.g. if Tutanota has issues with the SPF setup of our email system).

• Tony Webster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Providing users with access to the email headers of emails they have received is a prerequisite to providing an email service. Respectfully, with appreciation for Tutanota's product and work, an email service without header data should not exist. It is vital to verifying the authenticity of received messages, weeding out spam and phishing attempts, and reporting and stopping harassment.

Not only does Tutanota not provide access to email headers in its web user interface, but exporting and downloading the raw email as an .EML file actually strips the headers! So, not only is Tutanota not providing this basic feature, but Tutanota actually enacted the labor to actively destroy email headers on messages it has received. I am almost speechless.

This is a huge disservice to the security of your users, and I hope you will add this very basic feature as soon as possible. This feature request has been outstanding for well over a year. Many comments here describe this feature as "basic" and a "#1 priority" and "we need [this] yesterday" and I couldn't agree more. I would never consider paying for a service that did not include email headers, and I would not consider a product privacy-focused if it didn't provide access to email headers.

Thank you for your consideration.

• Victor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would find this to be very useful. I am really surprised this is not already a basic feature for a secure system that tutanota is.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Viewing the email headers is my last defence against really well-done spam. As an IT guy by day, headers also useful for troubleshooting. I really consider, for emails external to Tutanota, headers to be a requirement. I'll admit, it's more of a power user requirement, but a requirement none-the-less.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base