I suggest you ...

We need a system for recovery/ reset password

we need a recovery system so incase we lose our password we are able to get our account back and it would make tutanota more reliable and gain more users knowing that if something happens to our account we can recover our email

766 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Shawn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminTutanota Support (Feedback Manager, Tutanota) responded  · 

The account recovery code has been implemented in the new client now. It is only readable/encrypted for the account owner. We can not access it and therefore can’t access your encrypted data.

If you use a second factor, you can’t recover your account by just entering the recovery code. You need two out of three:

• Your password and your recovery code for resetting second factors
  • Your second factor and the recovery code for resetting your password.

You can only access your recovery code, if you provide your password. If someone has access to your desk, he won’t be able to inspect the recovery code without knowing your password.

If you don’t want to use the recovery code, you don’t have to. But you can’t restore access to your account if you lost your second factor or your password in that case.

148 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems that passwords are changed by TutaNota so that we would have to provide our phone numbers and download the app. The same invasion of privacy that ProtonMail is performing. However, ProtonMail asks you for your mobile number straight away.

I tried logging in and received an "invalid password" message. Next, I attempted to change my password by entering my access code and the user interface would not allow me to complete the process to change my password. If I click on the ok button,it will confirm that the values in the password fields match. However, the "Continue" button is greyed out.

Would it be possible to design the form so that it validates the recovery code after you have entered it in the field?

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not allowing the verifiable owner of an email account to recover their password is insane and sadly leading me away from tutanota. I had my password saved in the tutanota email login on my private computer. Then 1 day out of nowhere that locked in password was gone. I am not able to access my tutamail on my laptop, but I am still signed in on my phone.

• June Melanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have never had trouble signing into my accoun before, then one day out of the blue, I can no longer access my account. It is not accepting my password, which I did not change. This is not a good system at all. Very discouraging. It's things like this that would keep me from ever recommending your email to anyone.

• Perplexed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am signed i to my account, and Nowhere can I find ay way to access, or any reference to, a "recovery code". It is a great idea, but you seem to be claiming to offer a "service" which Does Not Exist!

• i need to log in !!! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sure I remember my password correctly, but I cannot sign in. I already used my mail for many open source services and now I can't use those. What a mess

i am finding it very hard to snig up to tutabota .com email am i a lone with this?

• Alvaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anybody know the possible release date? I just changed my password because of the problem with the app and I forgot it... It's been like 3 weeks without my emails and I feel desperate.

I'm unable to access my account, even though I've had a password manager manage my password. for some reason it's not allowing me access anymore!

• Felicity commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've now 'not' been able to access my main account for 5 days. Can you please unlock my Authy 2FA ? I need access to my account & I need it soon as I need to access work contacts etc.
    My main account is premium but I'm locked out. Can someone please contact me at my secondary account (attached to this post).?

• Felicity commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I emailed Tutanota team 3 days ago as I'm locked out of my account. My 2FA has been reset and i can't bypass this, despite the fact i still have my password. I need someone to deactivate my automatic Authy authenticator. I need access to my account. I've tried emailing Tutanota team from a different account and no response. Can anyone help with this?
    I need to access my account.

• WP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will the new password reset or recovery feature be active? I did not lose or change my password, but it no longer works for my account. I clicked the link in this thread to see the progress of the new feature but I don't see anything new.

You cannot add it soon enough! I was hacked and cannot access any of may accounts!!! I'm really screwed!!!

I am having a hard time logging in and found m password no longer works. I have not used it for a while and forgot it. How do I change my old one to a new password. Where do I go?

• BC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created a new account and used a password I know I can remember and I logged out and tried to login and now it doesn’t work

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't loose my password.
    I changed my OLD password for a NEW one, using the mobile app.
    Now NEITHER password works.
    That's all I know. Anything else is speculation.

I saved the old password, made a new one, and saved it. Possible error there, but I did careful copy and paste.

Using the android app beta, I noticed an unexpected event when I filled the change password form. I intended to paste the old password once and paste the new password twice to fill the form. In order to paste, I must first place the android cursor in the field by pressing and briefly holding my finger there.
    When I did that, I selected text instead of placing the cursor where I wanted to paste. The text selected is intended as descriptive or instructional by design, and reads "New Password." (or something similar).

Now I can ask the question. Is this the best practice?

When I select text instead of merely placing the cursor prior to pasting the clipboard contents (new password), I the screen presents the android "context menu" option to copy.

I suspect that something happened after that that caused me to be locked out of my account.
    I was able to use the change password dialog to submit an unknown password.

I have just recounted what I will call my "password change failure," a sort of story of the sequence of events to the best of my recollection.

Importantly, this is the second password change failure with very similar circumstances. I have two android devices, both with the beta apps, both password changes done on the android beta apps. I was changing passwords because of a puzzling inability to log on with the password I had been using. Couldn't even log on the web.
    Beyond, that my memory is not certain, and details are cloudy.

So, please make sure the change password code is the way it should be. I understand users will mistakes, but twice? I think I unknowingly submitted an unknown password.

• nc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really wish that there was a recovery system, as I've lost the passwords for 2 accounts- my bad, but I don't use a password generator and I have so many to deal with and change...
    The email address I will use below is one account I lost access to

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base