I suggest you ...

External IMAP/POP3 connection

Would be very nice if Tutanota supported IMAP/POP3 desktop software such as Thunderbird, ClawsMail, eM Client and others

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

55 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Daz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I use Tutanota because i think i can trust them to not read, store or sell my email data, not because I need encryption. " - TheDoctor

"I am with The Doctor on this one... no need for encryption 99.9% of the time, only use encryption to send legal documents(rare) , I use tutanota because I trust tutanota, I would love to use my tutanota on my thunderbird client..."

I'm with these guys - I have used tutanota for over a year now but have never encrypted a single message, I must lead a dull existence.

I use it because I trust the guys that run it.

I don't see why both an IMAP/POP service and of course a search function could not be implemented for non-encrypted emails only. If only the IMAP/POP was implemented then I could use search on the client.

I just paid for a premium sub for the year in return for the free year I used but it looks like sadly I will have to switch providers as not being able to search makes it unusable with a year's worth of archived mails. Implementing IMAP would kill 2 birds with one stone.

• Jose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll repeat myself again ( https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/7084890-create-a-desktop-application-for-os-x-linux-and )

I would ask for a connector (as a plugin, program or whatever) this way we could be able to use thunderbird, evolution, outlook, claws or another MUA.

I don't know if it is possible opening a port using a firefox/chrome plugin, but a connector using a browser plugin could be VERY VERY handy.

• Daz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very happy with the Tutanota email system and have recently upgraded to the premium service.

I understand the pop3 and Imap issues with end to end security but I wondered if it would be possible in the future to add other email accounts to the tutanota client. Ie bring in my Google mail account. I understand it would not be encrypted but that wouldn't worry me. I would use my original tutanota address when I need encryption.

Just a thought. Keep up the good works really impressed with the system. First time I've paid for email and its certainly worth it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do IMAP support and make it possible to add more than one account in your android app. Thank you.

A simple notification into my regular non-encrypted inbox about new unread messages would be enough, methinks, at least unless PGP will be supported.

• Bruce S. Knife commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, let's be gentle with the German team, their people are most rational of all... We can reach a compromise... How about when we sign to a premium account (and hence we are granted five aliases as dictated) we can configure some of those aliases not to support end to end encryption just for that specific use of pop3 folder compatibility. I have a Chinese email affiliate that I want connected by setting the receiving server (POP) --> I have no idea of what to put on that field on the other end to complete the process after reading this post.

Having passed the million user mark would it not be a strategic first mover leap of an advantage to implement many of the improvements suggested by folk like us here (I can only presume your team was overloaded with suggestions). My small team, slow to grow as we are in no rush to implement our business immediately, fully support Tutanota and as our email handler of choice we desire to see you thrive! (provided you may grant us privilege of no increase in fees, lol)

Sincerely,

Wisdom Ltd.

• rsm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I use Tutanota because i think i can trust them to not read, store or sell my email data, not because I need encryption. " - TheDoctor

I am with The Doctor on this one... no need for encryption 99.9% of the time, only use encryption to send legal documents(rare) , I use tutanota because I trust tutanota, I would love to use my tutanota on my thunderbird client...

Actually I started paying for tutanota because it said on the mail that this money would be used to pay for pop3/imap (or something alike) support.

• The Doctor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about users like me..? I use Tutanota because i think i can trust them to not read, store or sell my email data, not because I need encryption. heck, i don't know that many folks who actually Need encryption on a daily basis .. home users you see, not business folks. Thats the reason the free version appeals to folks, they are tired of folks like Microsoft or Google phoning home with the data.

whether it would support end-to-end encryption is the user's problem, not really yours. You shouldn't be an encryption nanny and most messages are non-encrypted as few people will send messages tutanota->tutanota or setting up a password with a third party. If you really want to worry about being spied upon, then you already have the means to avoid it.

I suspect, nonetheless, the real answer is: "we are trying to make money selling mailbox space. If you download everything by POP3 or IMAP and delete on the server automatically, you will never fill up your space and buy more, so we are counting on you being lazy and not deleting messages by hand". Fair enough, but slowly tutanota becomes less interesting, as forwarding and deleting means more work for the user.

• Aa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thunderbird is opensource it could be interesting to implement the source code and having the choice of tutanota account. People that want tutanota kind of system don't want their mail in the cloud.

• Colin Arnott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not really possible without some crypto sitting in the middle. Tutanota would need cleartext versions of your mail in order to support sending them to you over IMAP/POP3, and because everything is encrypted on their servers this is not possible. This can be seen in the following knowledge base link.

What could be done is to create an extension for Thunderbird, etc. that parses what is on the server and displays it in a decrypted form.

https://tutanota.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/470761-can-i-retrieve-my-tutanota-emails-via-imap-to-anot

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base