I suggest you ...

External IMAP/POP3 connection

Would be very nice if Tutanota supported IMAP/POP3 desktop software such as Thunderbird, ClawsMail, eM Client and others

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

55 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the reason that I cannot use an external email client like thunderbird or sylpheed, is the security, im in accord. But reduces the posibility to atract some part of the users.

• Veli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My rant is that the ipad client is very bare bones - no search, tagging, limited swipe, minimal rules, sorting, filtering, grouping. Sticking to Unibox and O365 for the time being

• gents commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would support the idea that tutanota develop and provide something like a bridge (like protonmail.com do) to use a Mailclient and use e2e encryption at the same time.

I like tutanota, but I use protonmail instead as long tutanota provide a bridge or something like that.

• AdminTutanota Support (Feedback Manager, Tutanota) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@rezo n1: An adapter/bridge wouldn't be a lot of work but we decided not to implement it for various reasons:
    1. All mails are stored unencrypted on the devices of the users when you use an adapter/bridge
    2. Without a decent mail client plugin, there is no way for a user to know if his messages will be sent end-to-end-encrypted or not

Both of these reasons are absolute no-gos for a secure mail service like tutanota.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as i cannot use my tutamail email acct with imap and pop3, i will not use the service. I will use mail.com

• rezo n1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe you can do what protonmail did:
    - implement a bridge which can be installed in OSX, Windows or Linux, and this bridge will act as an IMAP/POP3 server
    - this bridge will handle the communication securely
    - you can then you any application you want (like Thunderbird, smartphone's imap client) in your local network

But I know that this is lots of work, and you may not have the time to do so.

• Berin Aniesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Create an IMAP/POP3 server and just send a mail that a mail has been received in you account and provide a link to open the mail in the browser.

• JB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are unable to provide pop/imap/smtp services, could you please develop a Windows 10 Phone application? The Microsoft Edge web browser used in Windows Phone systems is unable to load the web-application version of TutaMail. This means it is not possible to access TutaMail using a Windows Phone device.

• Amir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, I need to setup my company's mails with your services but also I need to use imap to use your services through ifttt or zapier to be handy with Trello , Please make up your mind some businesses needs more than security

I see there is a Tutanota Outlook Plugin available, but why I can not install this on my Outlook? There is no link for this in my settings-> Accounts.

• werjzutr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is utter crap, I don't wanna keep a tab open just for checking emails periodically manually. Are we in the 90s again?

this is a ridiculous claim... tutanota is a joke.... end to end means e2e, not requiring you to be logged into a third party to decrypt.... I want to decrypt on my own computer.... not on the website or the mobile app.

• King Julien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We all get it that IMAP and POP3 won't support end-to-end encryption. Still, there must be a solution for users to have a centralized email interface that can handle multiple accounts and multiple providers. We live in a world of emails... pigeons are obsolete.
    And as many said, most tutanota users just don't want others to sniff their emails and then to spam them with targeted marketing. I am one of them... i am less concerned in encryption, as I would like to have some granted common-sense privacy (if is not yours, don't read it).

Or maybe you could provide an email client software that is specially tailored for your email service AND it can handle IMAP/POP3 for other emails... I would pay for a robust replacement for thunderbird that can handle tutanota mail service too. Think of it!

• VulgarisMagistralis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why was this suggestion summarily declined? It is obvious you need some sort of integration with external applications. People don't use encryption 100% of the time, I think any users seeking encryption have enough knowledge they need to use the web interface. All other "normal" email messages should be available through *some* protocol. Can't we make a case to re-visit the issue?

• Gio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HI.

To all requesting IMAP/POP3 etc. I'd like to remind you that from the Tutanota app exporting any email into TB (for instance) is a breeze.

Sure, you still need to use the Tutanota app to send and receive but as far as archiving/searching etc. your emails this solves it....at least while a better solution is found.

Instead, I'd like to be able to export all messages at once; at the moment only one message at a time can be exported.

Thank You.

Feedback and Knowledge Base