I suggest you ...

External IMAP/POP3 connection

Would be very nice if Tutanota supported IMAP/POP3 desktop software such as Thunderbird, ClawsMail, eM Client and others

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christopher M commented  · 

You could do a non-encrypted IMAP. Then you could make money off of adds on the site and use this advantage to draw customers to the web version because of its encryption.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I personally use Tutanota because they do not transmit my ip address and use theirs instead for outbound emails. This protects me against hackers and spam mailers. I frequently make blind inquiries of companies and I really do not know who is receiving the email until I get a reply, if I do in fact get a reply. So for me, the encryption feature is unused, except in the sense that my emails in and out are stored encypted on Tutanota's server.

Since so many people are looking for imap, would you consider offering two products instead of just one. One, would be the service you currently provide. The other product would still have the user's emails encrypted on your servers, but there would be no options for automatically encrypting outbound emails and no automatic decryption of inbound emails. The user would choose at sign up whether they want the "no encyption package with IMAP" or the "standard package without IMAP."

That way, you can have more customers using your service without compromising about security on the user's computer and without any liability. You could put some kind of header in the web interface that specifies whether there is encrypt/decrypt capability on the account.

Just my thoughts.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Having just signed up for a premium account, I was unaware that I could not connect my Thunderbird mail program to download Tutanota mail. A plug-in should be created for the more popular email programs to accomplish this in order to further the Tutanota project.

I fear this will be no more than a flash in the pan if portability is not accomplished. Many will accept responsibility for their own local security, few will conform to the strict rules and unrefined capabilities of Tutanota as they are now.

Oh well, it was at least a good idea. Better luck next time. Unless this is achieved by my subscription renewal in a year, I will be opting out and looking for a service that can supply IMAP/POP3 capability.

• Mvrak commented  · 

Search doesn't work anyways. I can't search more than a month of data with an extremely low volume of email. It is essential for me to be able to search the past three months quickly, and all time at least slowly.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I use Mail Backup X to archieve my IMAP accounts of Gmail and Yahoo. But I couldn't find any option in Tutanota that lets me add the account. need to look some better way to store all my mails to a better accessible location.

• freedom commented  · 

I need IMAP - POP3 over any reason, or I delete tutatota

• Christopher commented  · 

in Gmail, under Settings, I designated that future emails be forwarded to Tutanota. How is this different than POP forwarding?

• jpskin commented  · 

I appreciate all that you have done at Tutanota. I really want to use your platform but the lack of the IMAP/POP3 feature is still the primary reason I'm using protonmail.

You stated on December 25, 2017 11:12 that there are two reasons why an adapter/bridge is an absolute no-go.

Firsly, you stated, "All mails are stored unencrypted on the devices of the users when you use an adapter/bridge".

This suggests that Tutanota would like to control the security and privacy of email beyond the point of delivery. That's a completely losing battle given the differences in how people

choose to use their email. After an email is delivered there are a number of ways that it can be intercepted. I could mishandle my email and create unencrypted copies, someone could steal

my phone or passwords, or someone could simply read messages over my shoulder while I'm in public. These examples clearly fall outside of what I would call Tutanota's responsibility. The

same is true for using an adapter/bridge. I accept that once an email safely arrives to my unencrypted inbox you (Tutanota) have done your job if nobody intercepted that email. Please

consider why the majority of people want secure email. I think many people are not so concerned with local storage of emails but how securely they are sent. If someone is concerned about

storage then they should never consider using IMAP/POP3. Furthermore, they should consider having a decryption device installed directly into their brain rather than opening and reading

emails :)

For your second point you stated, "Without a decent mail client plugin, there is no way for a user to know if his messages will be sent end-to-end-encrypted or not".

I might be misunderstanding your point but isn't this what we are asking for? We already trusted you to design a mail client/app that properly handles end-to-end encryption. We again will

trust you to create a proper plugin/client.

In conclusion, wouldn't you rather have people use your product to safely recieve email than not at all? For a short while, I was using your premium service but decided that I need a

service that allows quick and complete exportability. Please consider the fact that people use their email in many different ways and need flexibility.

• anonimous commented  · 

being able to sent an automatic email to a normal account when an email arrived in Tutanota would already help a bit. Is this a possibility?

• [Deleted User] commented  · 

protonmail have added pop and imap support via proton bridge so why cant you guys do something similar?

• [Deleted User] commented  · 

Without ANY means to download my emails on my computer to view them localy/offline, this service is 90% unusable for me.

• . commented  · 

I 100% understand not having IMAP or POP3 for the end-to-end encryption, but would it be possible to add POP3 between Tutanota accounts only? I use a different Tutanota email address' for all my social media accounts. Instead of checking 10+ accounts for emails, having them all automatically send to one account via POP3 would be very helpful. That, or maybe updating the Tutanota IOS app to add multiple accounts?

• Brian Gaucher commented  · 

I signed up for tutanota because it is less intrusive than gmail, and I was hoping "simpler" so my desktop mail client application could manage the details (search, spam, folders). Turns out the single feature I want most is unavailable. I think I'll be stuck with Gmail awhile.
        Notice I'm not using my tutanota email in this forum.

• Carlos commented  · 

If the reason that I cannot use an external email client like thunderbird or sylpheed, is the security, im in accord. But reduces the posibility to atract some part of the users.

• Veli commented  · 

My rant is that the ipad client is very bare bones - no search, tagging, limited swipe, minimal rules, sorting, filtering, grouping. Sticking to Unibox and O365 for the time being

• gents commented  · 

I would support the idea that tutanota develop and provide something like a bridge (like protonmail.com do) to use a Mailclient and use e2e encryption at the same time.

I like tutanota, but I use protonmail instead as long tutanota provide a bridge or something like that.

• AdminTutanota Support (Admin, Tutanota) commented  · 

@rezo n1: An adapter/bridge wouldn't be a lot of work but we decided not to implement it for various reasons:
        1. All mails are stored unencrypted on the devices of the users when you use an adapter/bridge
        2. Without a decent mail client plugin, there is no way for a user to know if his messages will be sent end-to-end-encrypted or not

Both of these reasons are absolute no-gos for a secure mail service like tutanota.

• Anonymous commented  · 

as i cannot use my tutamail email acct with imap and pop3, i will not use the service. I will use mail.com

• rezo n1 commented  · 

Maybe you can do what protonmail did:
        - implement a bridge which can be installed in OSX, Windows or Linux, and this bridge will act as an IMAP/POP3 server
        - this bridge will handle the communication securely
        - you can then you any application you want (like Thunderbird, smartphone's imap client) in your local network

But I know that this is lots of work, and you may not have the time to do so.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base