I suggest you ...

Allow Tutanota user access and control over encrypted emails sent to unencrypted email services

I abandoned Tutanota years ago and am instead using Protonmail because Tutanota developers rejected my suggestion to offer the option to either access or delete encrypted emails sent to non-Tutanota email users. It is a serious flaw that there is no user access to these encrypted emails once sent to unencrypted email services. These emails are stored in an unacessable server file outside of the Tutanota user access and control and for which Tutanota developers do not disclose what ever happens to these hidden emails. I again checked the user knowledgebase and to my surprise there is no mention of what happens to encrypted emails when sent to nonencrypted email users. What kind of security is that if a Tutanota account user has no control over emails sent to commercial email services? Tutanota developers need to understand the real world of security - which is to say that the majority of email users today still stupidly use their Gmail and Yahoo accounts. Only the few true privacy and security minded will migrate to a service like Tutanota or Protonmail. You privacy email developers need to assist users of your email service by making available user access and control over email which is sent to outside email services. With Protonmail, email sent to unencrypted email users are deleted by default after 30 days, or the user can configure a shorter duration of email delete and this includes to self destruct after read once. When Tutanota offers something similar I will be back. Because you will not even discuss this issue of user access and control over sent email content I consider your service flawed and will neither user nor recommend your service to others.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MJ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been a Tutanota user for just shy of 2 years but use the service primarily for receiving email. Much to my surprise (and not well documented besides this person's post), I found that when I sent an email (to Protonmail - which IS secure), any trace of my sent message disappeared. I'm still baffled by the concept that the SENDER cannot keep a copy of what they sent. What is the logic behind this decision? Definitely makes Tutanota difficult, if not impossible, to use for sending mail.

Feedback and Knowledge Base