I suggest you ...

Add a semi secure "Send" mode

We can currently send messages that are encrypted between Tutanota accounts, we can send secure messages to recipients on other services with a password, or we can send messages that are stored on servers like gmail in plain text that they can scan. I have a lot of acquaintances that use services like gmail. If they are on gmail they probably don't care enough about security to remember a password to open emails. On the other hand I really don't want my messages stored on gmail's servers just because some of the recipients have gmail accounts.

I would like to be able to send a semi secure message to folks which do not require a password to send or open, simply a link for the recipient to open, read, and reply in a window similar to the secure message window for non-tutanota accounts. While it is less secure than using a password I would prefer to not have my message contents stored on gmail's, outlook's, or yahoo's servers.

Folks also get a chance to sign up for Tutanota with every message they receive. I don't use password unlock messages much just because of the hassle, this is something that I would use.

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While it is true that google/yahoo/microsoft have the technology to follow links, I believe that it is extremely unlikely that they will - there is no return on investment for them to do so. They would be running down thousands of links that are included with almost all junk mail. If your messages are sent to a gmail recipient in plain text, there is no doubt about whether it will be scanned.

I don't feel that it is burdensome for a recipient to click a link to read a message.

Kind of the bottom line is the whole point of having secure email is being able to control where your message content is stored. If copies of all of your message wind up on a google email server, whats the point of having secure email.

All I am really asking for is for the Tutanota email tool to not force a user to use a password when sending a message link but to let the user decide for themselves. I think that most folks get it that not using a password is less secure just like weak passwords are less secure than strong passwords. Nobody is being forced to change the way that they are using Tutanota with the requested change, they are just being given the latitude to make their own security decisions.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's trivial for gmail/yahoo/microsoft/etc. to follow links in emails they're scanning. Each one already has search engines which do the same thing for web pages they index. I don't see this as adding more security, just as adding another step for the recipient.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure if it is like Dropbox or not. What I am suggesting is to make the use of a password to access a secure email sent to a non-Tutanota recipient OPTIONAL. While it is not as secure as password protection to open the link to the email content, it is a LOT more secure than forcing me to send the email contents to a Google or Yahoo server. This would be a more secure way to send messages to contacts who might not want to use passwords to open individual email messages.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you mean like dropbox? You can send a link to anyone to share a folder on dropbox. They don't need a password, just click on the link.

Feedback and Knowledge Base