I suggest you ...

enable Gmail users to migrate their information to Tutanota.

I would like to leave the Google universe, but have so much data in Gmail, that it seems like too much work. If it were possible to transfer my Gmail folders and email, that would be fantastic.

63 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Christopher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rust commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As pro user I still need to use gmail time to time. I hope this improvement will be done.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Gmail allows users to store far more data per account than unpaid Tutanota accounts do, this may not work as well as everyone who'd use it would hope, and of course once they do this for one provider, they'll be asked to do it for all (see Anonymous, Aug 28).

I agree it would have made my switch from Gmail easier, but I eventually just put up an auto-reply on Gmail saying I'd change addresses at a certain date, gave my new address to the people I wanted to have it, and just before I deleted my Gmail account, enabled POP3 for every message since account creation, and downloaded the messages with Thunderbird (I had to sync several times as it would only download ~500 messages at a time). Yes, it's less convenient having to open a second program to reference old messages, but I find I almost never need to anyway.

Google also has a "takeout" option (search "google takeout") which allows you to download your data from all its products in the formats of your choice, nicely zipped/tarred.

Feedback and Knowledge Base