I suggest you ...

Signups from same IP

Apparently Tutnota has an issue with multiple signups from the same IP address.

I advise all my students to create a tutanota account. If you guys are business-wise you'd now that was just promoting your service free of charge.

Unfortunately, your system flags accounts as "abuse" if 4 or 5 of my students create an account from the same IP address here in the classroom.

Not very smart in my opinion. But what do I know, I'm just promoting your service without charging you an advertising fee.

You guys are gonna have to smarten up if your service is ever going to be practical. I mean, if I was a hacker or something, I'd just change my IP address every time I created account, right?

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
JonesAnthony shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  AdminTutanota Support (Feedback Manager, Tutanota) responded  · 

Thanks for your suggestions. We use different measures to avoid abusive registrations, one of them is a limitation depending on the IP address. Additionally, these measures might change over time. We appreciate that you promote Tutanota. If you have a static IP address for your students, please provide it to us (https://tutanota.com/contact), so we can whitelist it.

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Go create a reddit account to respond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The address isn't static. It changes every night when the router is booted at 3am.

We decided to go with Protonmail instead. Your service is better, but the idea of customer support being "Go create a reddit account" is totally ridiculous.

I was actually in the process of upgrading my free account to the "premium" service but couldn't ask a question. Then it dawned on me. If you blow off helping a guy with a wad of cash in his hand, your customer support after you've gotten my money must really suck.

Imagine if a guy walked on to the Ford dealership with cash-in-hand and the salesman told him to go create a reddit account if he wanted any questions answered about the new car sitting on his lot.

Protonmail stole your paying customer. They were able to do that with this:

https://protonmail.com/support-form

• Mel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other services, like topmail.com, do the same thing...but they request SMS verification if attempting to create more accounts from same IP as a way to prove you are legit.

Feedback and Knowledge Base