I suggest you ...

Tutanota bridge app for mailclients (like Protonmail Bridge)

lots of people use mailclients, which use SMTP/IMAP/POP for accessing mails, which can not be natively supported by end-to-end encrypted mail services, protonmail has provided their users with a solution to this problem with the recent release of the protonmail bridge app for Linux/Mac/WIndows. and i would really like it if Tutanota would release something similar so everyone can keep usiong their prefered mailclients with TutaNota

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jeroen Evens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  AdminTutanota Support (Feedback Manager, Tutanota) responded  · 

An adapter/bridge wouldn’t be a lot of work but we decided not to implement it for various reasons:
1. All mails are stored unencrypted on the devices of the users when you use an adapter/bridge
2. Without a decent mail client plugin, there is no way for a user to know if his messages will be sent end-to-end-encrypted or not

Both of these reasons are absolute no-gos for a secure mail service like tutanota.

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anastasios commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this issue should be reopened. Being able to have all my email downloaded locally, and being able to use IMAP is two important features of every mail service. In addition, I must say that the search function of tutanota does not work as expected.

• lac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm disappointed. I wanted subriscribe on tutanota, but I discover that the plugin Outlook is removed and the bridge doesn't. The client tutanota is inevitably disappointing.I use some very productive tool
    .It's impossible to use this poor client with a professionnal use.
    So I will go to ProtonMail, I'm very sad.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not first time you use the security's excuse against features which contrary to your business.

• Ski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search-able local email archives are very important to me and others. Your product is fantastic as is (especially the f-droid apk) and I'm happy to support your work with or without an adapter/bridge.

However, this reminds me of resorting to DavMail in order to access, archive, and index Microsoft Exchange emails via a Linux email client. Perhaps we (the Tutanota users) can create our own adapter/bridge based on the Tutanota Android app code?

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, really.

Ok, a bridge is not perfect but it will allow me to have an efficient full text search on a large volume of mail (local search in browser is a wonderful achievement but far from being able to search 10 Go of mails correctly), at least when I am on my usual laptop. This is what is missing for my usage and what is stopping me from going to tutanota

Local encryption is covered by disk encryption (and if someone is controling my disk, he will also be able to control the OS, and intercept the password of tutanota).

Let people choose depending on their threat model.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see this reopened. Issue 1 isn't really a problem. Once it's on the user's system, the data is in their control, and they can encrypt their own hard drive.

Feedback and Knowledge Base