I suggest you ...

Are you logging IPs or not?

In https://tutanota.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/511572-can-i-use-tutanota-anonymously-do-you-log-ip-addr you say:

"We do not log IP addresses ... We log IP addresses"

So which one is it? If you store IPs in case "a valid German court order" comes along, wouldn't that require a log?

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It’s as the FAQ states: We don’t log IPs. If we are presented with a German court order, only then do we log the IPs of the account concerned.

Tutanota is made for protecting all users against illegal mass surveillance. However, it is not a safe haven for suspected criminals.

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All the regular G8, G20, NATO and Clean Energy protesters are suspected criminals. Any D.A. can suspect anything. And however unlikely (!) what if one day U.S. or Israel suspects a journalist using tutanota? I don't think German politicians or secret service or D.A's can say no to those oppressive countries but cooperate in their surveillances. "Suspected criminals" does not have a meaning at all, in this context.
    Another thing is, does it go beyond logging IPs? Do you force password changes for inboxes and give them out to German courts as well? Location from IP addresses is probably not enough for law enforcement, they want spyware installed in those computers and read their correspondences.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"...so the answer is you DO log IPs.

Good to know."

If presented with a German court order. Should they rather act against the law? Be a safe haven for criminals?

I prefer that they stick to the law and build a great service that does everything possible to stop illegal intrusion (data mining, secret service spying). It's way better than most email services, criticizing them for sticking to the law is nitpicking.

• AdminTutanota Support (Feedback Manager, Tutanota) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It makes no sense to handle the question "do you log IPs" without any context.

There are laws that force service providers to store IPs in certain cases all over the world. However, there are large legal obstacles in Germany: If you are a police officer or a prosecutor and want us to store a single IP address, you need a German court order. See https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/transparency-report for more details on how many requests we receive and deny.

We only store the IPs of a single user in case of a German court order. We never store IPs of other users which is exactly what other mail providers do (most of them store ALL IPs of ALL users!).

Feedback and Knowledge Base