General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow opt-out from the recovery code

Some users don't want to use the recovery code feature as it just makes it easier for an attacker to gain access to their account. Let responsible users opt-out if they so choose. Don't force a controversial feature on all users.

463 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The recovery code does not make it easier for an attacker to gain access to an account as long as you don’t write the recovery code down and store it in an insecure place. Unfortunately, some users spreaded false information about this feature to discredit Tutanota.

The recovery code was a feature requested by many users and it is the most secure account recovery that has ever been implemented.

To make it short: If you don’t trust the recovery code, you don’t trust Tutanota as it is based on the same strong cryptography that all other parts of Tutanota are also based on.

We removed the popup to ask for the recovery code from the next release, as probably all users that want the recovery code set it up already. See
      github.com/tutao/tutanota/issues/880

• Allow Tutanota user access and control over encrypted emails sent to unencrypted email services

I abandoned Tutanota years ago and am instead using Protonmail because Tutanota developers rejected my suggestion to offer the option to either access or delete encrypted emails sent to non-Tutanota email users. It is a serious flaw that there is no user access to these encrypted emails once sent to unencrypted email services. These emails are stored in an unacessable server file outside of the Tutanota user access and control and for which Tutanota developers do not disclose what ever happens to these hidden emails. I again checked the user knowledgebase and to my surprise there is no mention of…

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Let me in!I am not spam

Let people in to use this Email service

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • attachment mac

Hi, i can't open to my attachments on mac "snow leopard", is it because the OS is too old?

I can do it on my samsung s5(Android) and my macbookPro on "mavericks"

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Yes, snow leopard is too old.

You need to run up-to-date browsers in order to run Tutanta. Unfortunately there is neither a current Safari, nor Chrome, nor Firefox for snow leopard.

• Dass die Mailbox wieder freigegeben wird und dieses Fenster "Richte deinen wiederherstellungscode ein..." endlich verschwindet.

Ich kann nicht mailen und das seit Wochen, weil dieses Fenster Zugänge blockiert. Ich nutze seitdem wieder Yahoo und verstehe nicht, was das soll.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Tutanota bridge app for mailclients (like Protonmail Bridge)

lots of people use mailclients, which use SMTP/IMAP/POP for accessing mails, which can not be natively supported by end-to-end encrypted mail services, protonmail has provided their users with a solution to this problem with the recent release of the protonmail bridge app for Linux/Mac/WIndows. and i would really like it if Tutanota would release something similar so everyone can keep usiong their prefered mailclients with TutaNota

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

An adapter/bridge wouldn’t be a lot of work but we decided not to implement it for various reasons:
                1. All mails are stored unencrypted on the devices of the users when you use an adapter/bridge
                2. Without a decent mail client plugin, there is no way for a user to know if his messages will be sent end-to-end-encrypted or not

Both of these reasons are absolute no-gos for a secure mail service like tutanota.

• How can you make an anonymous account when you have to give a cell phone number which removes anonymity?

A friend wanted to make a Tutanota email account but they have no cell phone. How can they do it? They do not have any email accounts either.

Additionally, Tutanota prides itself on anonymity and yet they demand your cell phone (which links your identity to them) to make an account.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of anonymity?

They used to let you make an account and you had to wait a while before you could do anything. At least that would have worked.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Remove the account recovery code

Please remove the account recovery code that you have just added. This is a huge security risk. Pretty much the biggest security risk you could add. Did you do this intentionally so you can compromise our accounts when you need to?

It's especially suspicious that you were clearly stating before: 'don't lose your password, we cannot reset your account' and now you miraculously add this without anyone asking for it.

It's especially concerning that this so-called private code can reset both the password AND the 2FA. I don't need that kind of vulnerability in my life. Who does? People who…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

The account recovery code is only readable/encrypted for the account owner. We can not access it and therefore can’t access your encrypted data.

If you use a second factor, you can’t recover your account by just entering the recovery code. You need two out of three:

• Your password and your recovery code for resetting second factors
                    • Your second factor and the recovery code for resetting your password.

You can only access your recovery code, if your provide your password. If someone has access to your desk, he won’t be able to inspect the recovery code without knowing your password.

If you don’t want to use the recovery code, you don’t have to. But you can’t restore access to your account if you lost your second factor or your password in that case.

• I'd like to change my password. I think it may have been compromised. How do I do that. atlantasy@tutanota

I'd like to change my password. I think it may have been compromised. How do I do that. atlantasy@tutanota.com

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Stop asking for a PayPal account when trying to download the iPhone App.

The app will not download from the App Store to my iPhone X without a PayPal account. I also didn't get any message with a number from PayPal. Seems your App is NOT free and will not download.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • email migration from gmail

HI I am using gmail from couple of years now I want to shift to tutanota but email migration is big problem please suggest me best to bring all messages from gmail to tutanota

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • 1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Anzeigen der gespeicherten Email in der App auch offline

Bisher kann man nur online in die Android App rein. Es wäre toll, wenn das auch offline möglich ist, sodass man dann dort die Email sieht, die man zuvor online aufgerufen hat.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Vollständige Anzeige des E-Mail-Verlaufs

Bisher wird der Verlauf innerhalb einer Konversation nicht vollständig angezeigt. Es werden nur eingehende Nachrichten angezeigt, nicht aber ausgehende, sofern auf die eingehende durch die Antworten-Funktion geantwortet wurde. Bitte zeigt den vollständigen Verlauf an, vergleichbar mit Googlemail.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Schriftgröße und -typ

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

würde mich freuen, wenn die Möglichkeit bestünde, Schriftgröße, Schrifttyp sowie Zeilenabstände bei einer zu erstellenden E-Mail innerhalb des Programms zu verändern. Schreibe jetzt regelmäßig E-Mails in Word vor, formatiere sie dort und kopiere sie dann hinüber ins Tutanota. Ist etwas unpraktisch. Sollte die Funktion schon bestehen und ich habe sie bisher nur nicht entdeckt, freue ich mich über einen kurzen Hinweis.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Seamlessly send encrypted mails to other encrypted mail providers

I honestly don't know how much work it would be, but wouldn't Tutanota's encryption function be more useful if encrypted mails (without clicking a link + typing a password) could be sent to users of other encrypted mail services (protonmail, hushmail, etc.) instead of just Tutanota users? Perhaps this would mean Tutanota, Protonmail, Hushmail, etc. would have to trust each other a bit more, or work out some additional standards for the encryption, but uniting with others who have similar ideas to achieve your (plural) goals can make all involved stronger, and plain email works so well simply because the…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Make new F-Droid Android app run on Android 4.4

Too bad that the required minimum Android version went up from 4.4 to 5.0.

. app v 2.15.4 from Google Playstore requires Android 4.4
                                    . new app v 3.37.1 from F-Droid requires Android 5.0

This limits a range of interesting devices and reduces the install base. For example a google-acount-free Fairphone FP1 can not run your newest beauty.

Was it a conscious choice to increase the required minimum Android version? What great novelty brings 3.37.1 that was not possible on 2.15.4? Could you consider to lower the requirement for Android 5.0?

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Please make the "Spam" icon become boldface when an email is automatically sent to that folder.

Please make the "Spam" icon become boldface when an email is automatically sent to that folder. Also, if the email isn't spam, please create an option to mark that email "not Spam" so it goes to the Inbox. I suddenly found many emails that should not have been sent to Spam. But I had no way to know there were emails in my Spam folder. Thanks.

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • To the best of my knowledge I never signed up for tutanota, do NOT want to participate, and would appreciate being completely deleted.

My correct email address is larry.lack17@att.net, and the fact that tutanota has inexplicably become part of my email address(?) is totally screwing up my ability to get important messages from colleagues, students, etc. PLEASE delete my account, which you seem to have gotten by mistake. Thank you.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Error using dark theme

There seems to be an error using the dark them. I received an email from tutanota staff and part of it was displayed with a white background as seen in the image below.

https://i.imgur.com/iT2g0tM.png

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
                                          • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base