General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. offer a Dark Theme

I strongly prefer "Dark Themes" instead of "Light Themes." Dark themes are much easier on my eyes (especially when using the computer for long periods of time) and also Dark Themes are more energy efficient because light output is reduced.

I use the Gnome-3 dark theme for my Laptop and now that Firefox 35 has arrived the devedition offers a Dark Theme. Would love to have a Dark Theme setting option available in Tutanota as well.

1,641 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    44 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are excited to let you know that a dark theme is now available with our brand-new Tutanota mail client: https://mail.tutanota.com/

Do you like our new design? Please support our development team by upgrading to Premium for only 1 Euro per month! (The upgrade process currently only works in the old client.)

Thank you very much! :)

Please find more details about our completely rebuilt secure email client on our blog: https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/secure-mail-public-beta-release

2. 2-factor Authentication

Multi-factor authentication is not a luxury anymore, it's a basic necessity for any service that truly puts a high value on privacy.

1,426 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    133 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our brand-new beta client now supports 2FA with U2F (eg YubiKey) as this is the most secure option and TOTP. More options will follow so let us know which you prefer! :) Please access the new client here: https://mail.tutanota.com/

You can find more details about our new client on our blog: https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/secure-mail-public-beta-release

You can find more details on 2FA in our FAQ: https://tutanota.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1201942-how-does-two-factor-authentication-2fa-work-in-t

Do you like the improvements of our brand-new beta client? Feel free to upgrade to Premium (it’s only 1 Euro per month) and support our developers! Thank you. :)

3. We need a system for recovery/ reset password

we need a recovery system so incase we lose our password we are able to get our account back and it would make tutanota more reliable and gain more users knowing that if something happens to our account we can recover our email

766 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    145 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The account recovery code has been implemented in the new client now. It is only readable/encrypted for the account owner. We can not access it and therefore can’t access your encrypted data.

If you use a second factor, you can’t recover your account by just entering the recovery code. You need two out of three:

• Your password and your recovery code for resetting second factors
    • Your second factor and the recovery code for resetting your password.

You can only access your recovery code, if you provide your password. If someone has access to your desk, he won’t be able to inspect the recovery code without knowing your password.

If you don’t want to use the recovery code, you don’t have to. But you can’t restore access to your account if you lost your second factor or your password in that case.

4. build in search

Search facility for text in email sender, subject or content fields

1,149 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    117 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It was more complex than expected, yet, here we are: You can now search for encrypted emails and encrypted contacts within our new beta client: https://mail.tutanota.com/ :) Search takes place locally on your client so that the server does not see any of your search queries. Please find more details on our blog: https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/first-search-encrypted-data

If you like this update, you are very welcome to support our development team by upgrading to Premium (it’s only 1€ per month). For upgrading please click on Premium in the top menu bar while logged in with our old client: https://app.tutanota.com/

Thank you for your support!
    Your Tutanota Team

Ps: By upgrading you are not only supporting our development team, you are also getting more features including a much more extensive search tool.

5. Sending mails without password

If you wanna mail, for example, to a online-shop.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Spam

Has something changed? I used to recieve about 8 emails in spam I am now not getting any spam at all and I am concerned I maybe missing important emails.
    What can I do tho check this

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 2FA not working

TOTP App, Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, all accept the scanned QR code, but the window to activate the function in the new WEB Mail Client, always reject the code informing: "The **** code you entered is invalid. Please correct it."

How can we fix it?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Domain verwenden

Meine von mir ‚gekaufte‘ Domain für sichere e- Mails mit Tutanota verwenden können! Eventuell auch noch spätere Integration in Firmenwebsite so wie es Tutanota jetzt schon vorzeigt, aber halt mit dem Logo meines Unternehmens!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Review the way passwords and accounts are managed

Here the story,

- Created an account to give it a try (I must confess, I just typed random keys)
    - Liked it so went premium
    - Wanted to change my former password : been asked for the old one which I can't remember (my fault here)

First flow: as an admin I can't reset my own password

- Read this : https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/35606569-while-logged-in
    - I'm still connected, so I decided to create an new account and promote it admin (12€ the price of my stupidity)
    - Try to connect with the new account => no success.
    - Ok maybe I'm…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. While logged in

I think i threw my password out. Now I am still logged in on my laptop, but have no way to reset it. Can i manually reset it while in my account?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you are still logged in on your desktop, you can only upgrade your account to Premium and then reset the password using a second user admin. This is the only possible way to reset passwords without knowing the old one.

12. Viewport Estate

Hallo Leute!

Not in any way trying to take anything away from tutanota, there is a real viewport design problem. Recently I received an email that had 8 attachments and I could not read it because the attachments bar that is designed at the top hang too low, leaving a very small reading area that one has to scroll after every three lines. I had to forward the email to another mail client! The viewport is just too condensed and static. The email viewing experience is not good at all. The far left takes 1/3 of width which might be…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Attachment error in Tutanota app on Android

Hello, when I add any, even small 100 kB attachment when creating new mail, I always get an error - the file couldn't be read (and therefore no file has been attached) :-( WTF ?
    I use Android 7.x.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Search box into the web version of the app

A search box into the web version of the app, can't understand whyt there isn't just one,

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

sorry for the inconvenience!

In such cases, you should definitely have received a reply already. Please re-send your email if there was no response yet and mention that you are a Premium user in the subject.

16. E.mail send failed

Hi!
    I cannot send and e.mail
    I received e.mail failed from gmx, why?
    Adresse it.s correct.
    Same adresse can be send trought gmail.
    Regards!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Spam

Bonjour,
    J'ai beaucoup de mail de mes contacts qui sont tout de suite mis dans les spam.
    Serait il possible de ne pas mettre en spam les mails de tous les contacts.

Merci

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Spam

Bonjour,
    J'ai beaucoup de mail de mes contacts qui sont tout de suite mis dans les spam.
    Serait il possible de ne pas mettre en spam les mails de tous les contacts.

Merci

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. hello@tutao.de doesn't respond to any request

I am a premium user but can not access to mail mailbox anymore.
    So i can not communicate with premium support.
    hello@tutao.de is not alive.

How can i get some help!!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Locking out users for 48 hours

You guys have added the captcha code by making us tell what the time is when creating an account which I am fine with, but sometimes our account randomly locks up and does not allow us to send an email for 48 hours, can we remove this lock up towards accounts, cause if you already have a bot protection by asking us to tell what the time is, then we don't need anymore frustrations added.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base